Rutgers track and field sets two school records

Junior distance runner Billy Hill broke the Rutgers track and field indoor mile record, a program record that had stood since 1973. – Photo by ScarletKnights.com

The Rutgers track and field team had its fourth indoor meet last Friday and Saturday and broke two school records in the process. At the Sprite Institute, two individuals broke school records while others were able to set records of their own, breaking a total of 20 personal records at the Big Ten meet. 

The two student-athletes who broke school records were junior Billy Hill and freshman Ka'Leila Abrille in the meet. 

Hill broke the schools’ record in the mile run having a time of 4:02.11 which beat out the previous record set in 1973 by Ron Speirs who had a time of 4:05.9. Hill, who finished fourth in the race, beat out the decades-long record by approximately three minutes. Just the year before, Hill beat his personal record for the mile with a 4:07:76 run at the Boston University David Hemery Valentine Invitational, now shattering it this year. 

Abrille not only broke the school record for pole vault, but also broke her own record since the previous school record was set by her. Her vault was a height of 3.90m for third place in the meet beating the previous record she made the week before with a height of 3.86m in the Penn State Tri-Meet. 

The team, including Hill and first-time attendee Abrille, is preparing for the Big Ten Indoor Track and Field Championships in two weeks. Director of track and field Bob Farrell said he was pleased with his team and the records which were broken as he looks forward to the championships. 

"I'm really proud how this team stuck their nose in there and competed this weekend," Farrell said. "The travel provided a bunch of challenges and they were able to overcome and generate school records and a bunch of (personal records). Looking forward to coming back in two weeks for Big Ten's." 

For updates on the Rutgers track and field team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.