Rutgers men's soccer defeats Michigan State

Sophomore goalkeeper Oren Asher makes one of his five saves as the Rutgers men's soccer team recorded their first victory of the 2021 season, defeating Michigan State 2-0. – Photo by Rutgers Men's Soccer / Twitter

After a full year of not playing in a competitive match, the Rutgers men's soccer team took the field on Friday and walked off with a victory. The soccer team traveled to Michigan to face Michigan State and secured a 2-0 win.

Coming into the game, the two Big Ten foes had previously met six times, where the Scarlet Knights (1-0-0, 1-0-0) were 0-5-1 against the Spartans (0-1-0, 0-1-0). Rutgers managed to get its first-ever win over Michigan State since joining the Big Ten.

The Knights were victorious, thanks to the goals from senior forward Ritchie Barry and freshman forward Colin Beasley. Beasley found the back of the net in the second half, securing his first collegiate goal. Their two goals were assisted by sophomore midfielder Jackson Temple.

Sophomore goalkeeper Oren Asher had five saves to keep the Spartans at zero, making it his fourth career shutout at Rutgers.

The Knights also saw three freshman debuts. Freshman defender Cole Sotack, freshman forward Moussa Sbaly and Beasley all had some action as they began their collegiate soccer career.

Under the leadership of head men's soccer coach Jim McElderry, Rutgers has seen two freshmen score goals in season openers. In 2019, McElderry’s first year, he saw Jørgen Wisth Lie score a goal, and now, in his second year, Beasley secured the team a win.

The Knights opened the season with a key win over a Michigan State team that has seen the NCCA playoffs in recent years. This has been the first win for Rutgers over the Spartans, as well as its first Big Ten opener win since September 2014 over Wisconsin.

The Knights will return back to New Jersey for another Big Ten game against rivals Penn State. The game is going to be played indoors in Hillsborough, New Jersey.

For updates on the Rutgers men's soccer team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.