Rutgers men's lacrosse player Kieran Mullins receives 2021 Wayne Duke Award

Senior attacker Kieran Mullins received the 2021 Wayne Duke Postgraduate Award, making him the third Rutgers player to do so.  – Photo by Scarletknights.com

Rutgers men’s lacrosse team's senior attacker Kieran Mullins was named a recipient of the 2021 Wayne Duke Postgraduate Award on Thursday. As a recipient, Mullins will receive a $10,000 scholarship.

The award, named for former Big Ten commissioner Wayne Duke, is intended to recognize athletes who are successful in athletics, academics, leadership and extracurricular activities. In the history of the award, approximately $190,000 in scholarship money has been given out to recipients. The award is given to one male and female Big Ten athlete each year, with Lea Mitchell of Michigan State receiving the women’s award alongside Mullins.

The award is presented jointly by the Big Ten and Indiana Sports Corp. It was initiated in 2008 by the Indianapolis Big Ten Community Partnership.

“Both of the honorees have demonstrated impressive leadership skills, academic and athletic performance, as well as (are) role models for their communities," said Indiana Sports Corp president Ryan Vaughn, according to the Big Ten.

Mullins, who is a team captain this season, has been one of the top goal scorers in the history of Scarlet Knights (1-0, 0-0) lacrosse, currently sitting with 100 career goals in five seasons. He has earned two All-Big Ten honors and has been named an honorable mention All-American during his time on the Banks. He has also been named to the Tewaaraton Award Watch List and is a Senior CLASS Award nominee.

In addition to his lacrosse record, Mullins is also a perennial Dean’s List student at Rutgers with a 3.8 undergraduate GPA. Mullins was also awarded a Rutgers Postgraduate Big Ten scholarship. He is majoring in cell biology and neuroscience and pursuing a minor in both health and society and sociology.

Mullins works as a patient transporter for the CentraState Healthcare System and also serves as a volunteer counselor for the Crisis Text Line. Previously, he was a mentor with the Rutgers Educational and Athletic Developmental Initiative and participated in the Athletics Department’s Thanksgiving Day and Special Friends Day initiatives.

Mullins is the third Knight to earn the Wayne Duke Award in Rutgers’ seven years as a Big Ten member. The most recent Knight to receive the award was golfer Emily Mills in 2018. He’s also the second men’s lacrosse player to earn the award, with Campbell Sode in 2015 being named a recipient.

For updates on the Rutgers men's lacrosse team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.