NBPD arrests suspect involved in September 2020 shooting

Following the arrest of Jeron Pitt, the New Brunswick Police Department is continuing its search for the other three suspects involved in the shooting. – Photo by iStockphoto.com

The New Brunswick Police Department (NBPD) recently arrested a suspect involved in a previous shooting in New Brunswick, according to a University-wide email alert.

The suspect, 19-year-old Jeron Pitt of Somerset, was arrested and charged on Friday following an investigation conducted by the NBPD and the Middlesex County Prosecutor’s Office, according to the email.

Pitt is facing several charges, including two counts of murder and seven counts of attempted murder, as well as conspiracy and weapons offenses, according to the email.

The Daily Targum previously reported the incident took place at approximately 1:30 a.m. on Sept. 13, 2020, at 32 Delafield St. Four individuals, including the suspect, shot at a group of individuals at a house party, which left two people dead and six people with serious injuries, according to the Targum. Those involved in the incident had no affiliation with the University.

The investigation remains active as the NBPD continues to search for the remaining three suspects.

The NBPD asks anyone with information regarding the incident or who may have been in the area at the time to contact the NBPD's Detective Bureau.

The Rutgers University Police Department said students should report suspicious activity or people immediately and stay alert to what is happening in their surroundings.