Rutgers defeats Indiana, breaks losing streak

Junior guard Ron Harper Jr., senior guard Geo Baker, junior guard Caleb McConnell and sophomore guard Paul Mulcahy helped Rutgers end its five-game losing streak yesterday. – Photo by Rutgers Men's Basketball / Twitter

After five straight losses to begin the new year, the Rutgers men’s basketball team has won its first game in 2021, defeating Indiana 74-70. The Scarlet Knights (8-6, 4-6) recorded their first win since Dec. 29, 2020, and their first road win since Dec. 14, 2020, yesterday.

The Hoosiers (9-7, 4-5) played a competitive first half with Rutgers, trading the lead six times before going into the break down by 5. The Knights had an efficient first half from the field, shooting 16-for-27 and holding Indiana to 8-for-19 on 2-point shots.

Rutgers went into the half up 38-33. 

The Knights held their lead for the entire second half, with the Hoosiers only being able to cut the lead to 3. 

For Rutgers, 6 of its 7 scorers recorded at least 8 points. Senior guard Geo Baker led the team in scoring for the first time this season, tallying 19 points and five assists in 37 minutes of play.

Junior center Myles Johnson shot 4-of-4 from the field, scoring 8 points. He also tallied five blocks, three steals and grabbed a key offensive rebound with 10 seconds left, a play that allowed the Knights to go up by 4 and seal the game. 

Junior guard Ron Harper Jr. posted his second double-double of the season, tallying 15 points and a career-high 12 rebounds.

Indiana shot less than 43 percent from the field and was 10-of-16 from the three-pointer range. Three Hoosiers scored in double digits.

Rutgers shot more than 50 percent from the field and matched Indiana at the free-throw line by shooting 12-of-17. The Knights outrebounded and tallied more assists than the Hoosiers.

Rutgers faces Michigan State on Thursday.

For updates on the Rutgers men’s basketball team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.