RUPD investigates internal incident

Offensive messages that appeared to be racially motivated were directed at the Rutgers University Police Department (RUPD) members in Newark, said Chief of RUPD Kenneth Cop. – Photo by The Daily Targum

Chief of the Rutgers University Police Department (RUPD) Kenneth Cop notified the University community yesterday of an internal incident at the department, which involved the use of offensive and distressing language.

He said these messages were directed at RUPD officers in Newark and seemed to be racially motivated, according to the email.

“This communication is inconsistent with the mission and philosophy of the RUPD and is in direct violation of our internal policies as well as those found in the University Policy Library,” Cop said, according to the email.

RUPD’s Internal Affairs Bureau is currently investigating this incident and has been referred to the Rutgers Office of Employment Equity, he said, according to the email. Additionally, due to the nature of these messages, Cop said the Essex County Prosecutor has also been contacted for the investigation.

The individuals targeted by these messages have also been notified of this incident and are receiving appropriate support, he said, according to the email.

“Our quick actions today should serve as a reminder to all members of the Rutgers community that the police department’s personnel are held to the highest standards of conduct and are expected to treat all individuals, including each other, with courtesy and respect in the course of their day-to-day interactions,” Cop said, according to the email. “Identity-based offenses are unacceptable, will not be tolerated, and will be investigated and the department will take swift corrective action consistent with the results of the investigation,” he said, according to the email.