Holloway tests positive for coronavirus, Rutgers updates testing data

University President Jonathan Holloway said he would be limiting his schedule in order to fully recover from the coronavirus disease (COVID-19).  – Photo by Rutgers.edu

University President Jonathan Holloway sent a University-wide email on Jan. 11 to announce that he tested positive for the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) over winter break.

After being made aware of an initial exposure on Jan. 6, he said he began to self-quarantine and received a positive test result on Jan. 10.

“Despite my strictly following all appropriate health hygiene advice, it appears that I contracted the virus at my home,” he said, according to the email.

Holloway said everyone he came in contact with has been notified and tested and that his schedule would be limited in the following 10 days in order for him to fully recover. 

“I am fortunate, my symptoms are minimal and like a common cold. I will continue to self-quarantine and closely monitor any health changes,” he said, according to the email. 

Later that week, Rutgers released its Weekly University Health Update with COVID-19 testing results from Jan. 3 to Jan. 9. 

Of the 6,421 tests performed, 155 came back positive and 6,254 were negative, according to the email. Twelve of the tests had inconclusive results, according to the University’s Testing Program Dashboard. The proportion positivity rate was 2.41 percent. 

Fifty-one positive test results were from Rutgers—New Brunswick, while Rutgers Biomedical and Health Sciences (RBHS)—New Brunswick/Piscataway had 47, RBHS—Newark had 28, Rutgers—Camden had 20 and Rutgers—Newark had nine.

Of the positive test results, 78 cases were associated with employees, with 27 from RBHS—New Brunswick/Piscataway, 22 from Rutgers—New Brunswick, 15 from Rutgers—Camden, eight from RBHS—Newark and six from Rutgers—Newark.

Seventy-three total students tested positive that week, with 28 from Rutgers—New Brunswick, 20 from RBHS—Newark, 18 from RBHS—New Brunswick/Piscataway, five from Rutgers—Camden and two from Rutgers—Newark, according to the dashboard. 

Since the start of the University’s testing program in May 2020, 91,247 tests were conducted, with 1,181 positive results, 89,812 negative results and 254 inconclusive tests, according to the dashboard. Overall, 1.29 percent of all results were positive and 98.43 percent were negative.