Rutgers’ Guirantes, Harper Jr. named to John R. Wooden Award Watch Lists

Junior forward Ron Harper Jr. and senior guard Arella Guirantes are centerpieces of the Rutgers men's and women's basketball teams, respectively. – Photo by Scarletknights.com

Junior forward Ron Harper Jr. of the Rutgers men’s basketball team was selected to the John R. Wooden Award Men’s Preseason Top 30 Watch List and senior guard Arella Guirantes of the Rutgers women’s basketball team was selected to the Women’s Watch List.

The awards have been given to the most outstanding college basketball student-athletes every year since 1976 and have had many prestigious winners including Michael Jordan, Tim Duncan, Maya Moore and Candace Parker. 

Harper Jr. scored a career-high 30 points against Fairleigh Dickinson and made five three-pointers, also a career-high.

He was the leading scorer for the Scarlet Knights (3-0, 0-0) last season, averaging 12.1 points per game. He scored in double digits 18 times.

Harper Jr. was named to the Watch List for the Julius Erving Award, given to the top forward in the nation, as well.

Guirantes has earned her fourth national watch list selection this year. She was previously selected to the Naismith and Wade Trophy and Ann Meyers Drysdale Award Watch Lists.

In the Scarlet Knights’ (1-0, 0-0) season-opener, Guirantes scored 22 points and tallied five rebounds, five assists, three blocks and three steals. 

Guirantes looks to improve on a season where she was named to the First Team All-Big Ten and was also named an All-America Honorable Mention. She finished ninth in the nation in scoring and was the second-best scorer in the Big Ten. Guirantes finished in the top 20 in the Big Ten in scoring, free throw percentage, steals, blocks, three-point shooting and rebounds.

Rutgers is one of seven schools to have at least one student-athlete on both the women's and men's Wooden Award Watch Lists and one of two Big Ten schools to have student-athletes on both lists.

For updates on the Rutgers men’s and women’s basketball teams, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.