Rutgers football outlasted by Penn State

Thee Rutgers football team will play its last game of the season on Saturday against Maryland. – Photo by Rutgers Football / Twitter

After a comeback victory at Purdue last week, the Rutgers football team fell to Penn State 23-7 on Saturday. The Scarlet Knights (2-5, 2-5) remain winless against the Nittany Lions (2-5, 2-5) as a member of the Big Ten and have not won in this series since 1988.

The first two drives of the game resulted in both teams turning the ball over on downs. After Rutgers turned the ball over, Penn State was able to take advantage with a 29-yard touchdown pass to Parker Washington for the first points of the game.

Later, after a punt by the Knights, the Nittany Lions went down the field and kicked a field goal, extending their lead to 10.

Rutgers then turned the ball over after failing on fourth down again, marking the second time it turned the ball over before crossing midfield. 

Penn State responded with Devyn Ford scoring on a seven-yard touchdown run. The Nittany Lions led 17-10 going into halftime.

The Knights received the ball to start the second half, but a senior quarterback Noah Vedral fumble once again put Penn State in great field position to start its drive. Jordan Stout put the Nittany Lions ahead by 20 points with a 47-yard field goal.

After an interception from junior defensive back Christian Izien, Rutgers was able to score its only touchdown of the game: a three-yard scoring strike on fourth down from Vedral to senior wide receiver Bo Melton. The game was now within two scores with 20 minutes left.

Penn State kicked another field goal in the fourth quarter and secured their second road victory of the season. 

Vedral went 17-for-30 with 113 yards and one touchdown. He led the Knights in rushing, with 56 yards on 14 carries.

Melton led in receiving, with 38 yards on seven catches and a touchdown. 

Rutgers caused one turnover, a fumble that was recovered by junior defensive back Avery Young

Sean Clifford went 15-for-22 with 133 yards, one touchdown and one interception.

Three Nittany Lion student-athletes recorded more than 65 rushing yards each.

Jahan Dotson led Penn State in receiving with 30 yards on 4 receptions. 

The Nittany Lions caused two turnovers, including a fumble recovered by Jesse Luketa.

“We struggled to handle them upfront, especially offensively," said head football coach Greg Schiano, according to the Philadelphia Inquirer. “Our guys played hard, right to the last snap, but hard isn’t good enough in this league ... This is ‘Big Boy’ football. You’ve got to play clean. You’ve got to play precise ... We didn’t coach well enough or play well enough to win. Penn State deserved to win.”

For updates on the Rutgers football team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.