DELFINO: Krispy Pizza — Brooklyn quality pizza on New Brunswick's streets

Column: Cameron's Crunch

Many chain restaurants sacrifice the quality of their original recipe to make a quick buck. On the other hand, Krispy Pizza, originally from New York, boasts delicious, Brooklyn-style pizza.   – Photo by The Yard @ College Ave

When it comes to food, there is one thing New Jerseyans and New Yorkers are especially critical of — pizza.

Although it is a simple dish, it can be easily messed up and leave you feeling disappointed that it did not live up to the pizza standard. If the ratio of sauce to cheese is off or if it is not crispy enough to withstand the fold and bite, then it is not good pizza. When I went to Krispy Pizza, these were just a few of the expectations I kept in mind when trying the food.

Despite my many nights of waiting for the EE bus at Scott Hall last year, I somehow never gave in to the aroma that came from Krispy Pizza, which is extremely surprising to me. You can smell the food from blocks away, and when you are waiting in the cold for the bus, the smell seems to taunt you, telling you to risk missing the bus for a quick slice.

My roommate would get their pizza whenever he had a class on the College Avenue campus, and it always looked delicious, but I do not think I ever got around to trying it myself besides one bite from a friend. I felt like I could not base Krispy Pizza off of one bite of someone else’s pizza and that I needed to finally try it. 

One of the reasons Krispy Pizza is so well-known and liked is for its personable and outgoing staff. Despite the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic and the presumed impact it had on their business, I still received a warm welcome from the guy working behind the counter.

They had numerous ready-made pizzas in the typical pizzeria showcase: the usual pies like plain and Sicilian, along with specialty pies like chicken ranchero and macaroni and cheese, which are just a few of the options. After looking over all of the pizzas, I decided on a slice of margherita and a slice of penne vodka.

The guy behind the counter popped my slices in the oven, and they were out within just a couple of minutes. At a good pizzeria, you should be able to go in, order your slices and be out within 10 minutes. Krispy Pizza lived up to this expectation, and my pizza was ready in seemingly no time. 

I started with the margherita. It came with a typical pizza sauce, fresh mozzarella and even fresher basil. Fresh basil is an essential component of margherita pizza, and this basil was just about as fresh as it could get. The sauce to cheese ratio was perfect, and the flavors of the mozzarella, sauce and basil were all balanced nicely.

Although the margherita was good, the penne vodka slice was my favorite. For starters, this slice was a monster, piled high with penne pasta covered in vodka sauce and cheese. The pasta had the right amount of sauce where every noodle was covered but not drenched and soggy.

Even though the penne vodka itself was delicious, and I would definitely get this as a regular pasta dish, my favorite aspect of the pizza was the crust. Not only did the crust have the right amount of thickness and crispness, but it also had sesame seeds on it, which is something I have never had before.

While this is unusual for pizza and something I was surprised to see, that subtle detail added such an excellent depth of flavor that complimented the rest of the pizza so well.

When I was at Krispy Pizza, I was surprised to find out that it had many other locations in New Jersey in addition to its original spot in Brooklyn. When restaurants are a chain or have multiple locations, the quality ranges and their food suffers. This is absolutely not the case with Krispy Pizza. Everything tasted freshly made and was just as tasty had they been a stand-alone restaurant.

From the looks of it, Krispy Pizza does not seem like your typical pizza joint. Everything inside the restaurant is new and modern and does not fit the stereotypes associated with a classic pizzeria.

But, once you try the pizza, you know that they measure up and that their food is genuinely good. It is comforting to know that if I am ever craving a good slice of pizza, I can count on Krispy Pizza.

Cameron Delfino is a School of Arts and Sciences sophomore majoring in journalism and media studies. His column, "Cameron's Crunch," runs on alternate Tuesdays.

Columns, cartoons and letters do not necessarily reflect the views of the Targum Publishing Company or its staff. YOUR VOICE | The Daily Targum welcomes submissions from all readers. Due to space limitations in our print newspaper, letters to the editor must not exceed 900 words. Guest columns and commentaries must be between 700 and 900 words. All authors must include their name, phone number, class year and college affiliation or department to be considered for publication. Please submit via email to oped@dailytargum.com by 4 p.m. to be considered for the following day’s publication. Columns, cartoons and letters do not necessarily reflect the views of the Targum Publishing Company or its staff.