Rutgers men's basketball continues winning streak

The Rutgers men’s basketball team will face Syracuse on Dec. 8 in the Big Ten/ACC Challenge. – Photo by Kelly Carmack / Photo Editor

The Rutgers men’s basketball continued the positive start of its season on Sunday, as it defeated Hofstra 70-56. This win gives the Scarlet Knights (3-0, 0-0) a 3-0 record to start their season and ties up the all-time series against the Pride (0-1, 0-0) 3-3

Rutgers went with the same starting lineup as it did in its win over Fairleigh Dickinson. Freshman center Cliff Omoruyi started his third game.

Sophomore guard Paul Mulcahy started his second game of the season, starting in place of senior guard Geo Baker, who is out with an ankle injury.  

"I really like my young guys too, so we're learning the rotations with them," said head men's basketball coach Steve Pikiell. "I knew that would take a little bit of time and be a little bit of a process for us, but now with Geo, it really kinds of speeds it up a little more with our rotations."

Much of the production for the Knights in the early first half came from junior guard Jacob Young, who had 9 of the first 16 points scored by Rutgers.

Jalen Ray provided 8 of the first 11 points scored by Hofstra.

On the defensive end, junior center Myles Johnson tallied four first-half blocks.

After the score was 7-7, the Knights proceeded to take and keep the lead for the rest of the half, going into halftime up 32-21.

The Pride shot approximately 23 percent from the field and 2 of 15 from the three-point range in the first half. 

The second half was more of the same, with Hofstra cutting the lead to 10 but never coming any closer to Rutgers.

Ray finished with 22 points on 9 for 13 shooting. 

The Pride shot 30.2 percent as a team from the field and 22.2 percent from behind the arc.

The Knights were able to shoot 43.6 percent as a team from the field, 28.6 percent from three-point range and 62.1 percent from the free-throw line.

Young led the team with 17 points, junior guard Ron Harper Jr. provided 15 and junior guard Montez Mathis scored 14.

In addition to his scoring, Harper Jr. was one rebound short of a double-double, collecting nine of Rutgers' 47 rebounds.

Johnson also brought down nine rebounds, while adding five of the team’s seven blocks. 

Omoruyi scored 7 points on 75 percent shooting, adding seven rebounds and two steals.

The Knights committed the same amount of turnovers as Hofstra, 15.

The Pride did not hold a lead at any point and trailed for 36 minutes.

"Every guy that got into the game really helped us, so that's a good sign moving forward, obviously stepping it up. We need a couple days off here, which we're going to get and then start preparing for the road ahead," Pikiell said.

Pikiell and his student-athletes now have a nine-day break before their next game, a matchup with Syracuse on Dec. 8 in the Big Ten/ACC Challenge.

For updates on the Rutgers men's basketball team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.