Rutgers football grabs second win of season

The Rutgers football team improved to 2-4 and will face Penn State on Saturday. – Photo by Rutgers Football / Twitter

The Rutgers football team chopped its way to its second victory of the year, handing Purdue a 37-30 loss on Saturday. The Scarlet Knights (2-4, 2-4) have now won their most conference games since 2017, when they won four.

Rutgers saw itself behind 7-0 when the Boilermakers' (2-3, 2-3) Jack Plummer completed a 1-yard pass to Payne Durham for the score. That lead didn’t last long because junior quarterback Artur Sitkowski, who was starting in place of injured senior signal-caller Noah Vedral, floated a 14-yard touchdown pass to senior wide receiver Shameen Jones. The Knights then trailed 7-6 after they missed the extra point attempt. 

Later, Sitkowski connected with Jones again for another 14-yard touchdown pass.

This was a milestone for Sitkowski, who recorded his first game with multiple touchdown passes. He finished 18-for-27 with 141 yards.

Purdue kept tacking on the points after getting a safety, with Zander Horvath and Plummer each recording 1-yard touchdown runs. Rutgers' lead vanished, and the Boilermakers were up 23-13 at halftime.

In the third quarter, junior quarterback Johnny Langan threw a 62-yard touchdown pass to sophomore running back Kay’Ron Adams. Rutgers now trailed 23-20.

Head football coach Greg Schiano had a lot to say about his quarterbacks.

“(Langan) did a great job running the 4-minute offense. We love how he competes. (Sitkowski) ran the offense well and had a calming effect,” he said.

“We played our brand of football, fast and physical,” Langan said. “I think all three of us (quarterbacks) have different skills so it makes it tough on other teams.”

The Boilermakers' responded with an 18-yard touchdown pass, extending its lead to 30-20, but the Knights countered on the next kickoff. 

Junior wideout Aron Cruickshank logged a 100-yard touchdown return, putting Rutgers within three. 

Sophomore running back Aaron Young scored his first touchdown of the season with a 1-yard run, putting the Knights ahead 34-30 in the third quarter.

In the fourth quarter, Rutgers closed the scoring with another 3 points on a 28-yard field goal. 

The Knights will face Penn State on Saturday at noon.

For updates on the Rutgers football team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.