Holloway, Mena remind students about Rutgers resources amid upcoming election

As Election Day approaches, University President Jonathan Holloway and Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs Salvador B. Mena notified students about ways for them to receive help in coping with the results. – Photo by G Witteveen / Flickr

Salvador B. Mena, vice chancellor for Student Affairs, and University President Jonathan Holloway sent emails yesterday to remind the Rutgers community of resources available to help those who may need it during this time.

Since voting represents the hopes we might have for the nation and our respective communities, Mena said it is understandable that some individuals may feel unsure and disappointed in the results of the election once they are finalized, according to the email.

He said students can visit the Dean of Students website for post-election programming, where they can find resources and opportunities to process the events of the upcoming week, according to the email.

“The global pandemic and its economic impact, civil unrest, the inability to make plans and the general uncertainty about the future, upcoming exams, holidays right around the corner and tomorrow’s national election can certainly add to personal stress and anxiety,” Holloway said, according to the email. “These are difficult times to which each one of us is reacting or responding in our own ways.”

Holloway said while we have taken good public health precautions to mitigate the spread of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19), we also need to remember to take care of our social, emotional and mental health, according to the email.

Students at Rutgers—New Brunswick have access to Counseling, Alcohol and Other Drug Assistance Program and Psychiatric Services (CAPS), according to the email. Students at Rutgers—Newark can access resources at the Counseling Center, and students at Rutgers—Camden can visit Student Wellness Center Psychological and Counseling Services.

Additionally, those at Rutgers Biomedical and Health Sciences can access the University Behavioral Health Care Student Wellness Program, according to the email.

Rutgers’ Human Resources Wellness Resources and Rutgers4U — confidential emotional and therapeutic support lines for the pandemic — are available for faculty and staff at the University who may be seeking support as well, according to the email.

“Even though we currently are physically distanced, the fact is we are a community — a beloved community in which we look out for one another,” Holloway said, according to the email. “Each of us has heard from members of the community who are struggling in one way or another, and we want to help.”