Savage X Fenty: Inclusivity sometimes means making mistakes

Rihanna may not be releasing a new album any time soon, but she is taking over the lingerie industry with her Savage X Fenty line of inclusive lingerie.  – Photo by Savagex.com

Rihanna can not be stopped, bringing volume two of her Savage X Fenty fashion show to life this past week. The show included performances and appearances by huge celebrities like Rosalía, Demi Moore, Normani and, yes, Bella Hadid — as well as an incredibly beautiful and diverse cast of models.

To say the least, this show is sexy. The first half of the show features lots of black lingerie and fishnet tights. The mood was somber and sultry as the models danced and strutted around the stage in the Fenty pieces. 

The second half of the show was more colorful but just as sexy. Lizzo took over this half in stunning blue lingerie, dancing center stage. 

The show’s finale showed off the men. After listening to the people beg for a men’s collection of Savage X Fenty lingerie, Rihanna gave in and showcased the pieces which included boxers, silky robes and pajamas.

To close the show, Rihanna did a final strut in sleek leather as Travis Scott performed.  

Rihanna’s goal in all of her endeavors, whether in fashion or makeup, is inclusivity. “Inclusivity has always been a part of our brand. That’s not a ‘right now’ thing … I feel great that there are women that are feeling like they see themselves on the stage for the first time,” Rihanna said, according to People Magazine.

It's clear that the entrepreneur was successful in her mission, as the cast of models is the most diverse I had ever seen. Models of all races and ethnicities, ages, genders and sizes are included in the show, showing off their absolute beauty.

Seeing each model, who looks different from the typical model archetype, be completely confident, while they are practically dancing naked on stage, is incredibly powerful. The show celebrates real people and real bodies while instilling confidence in the viewers, letting them know, they too are a “savage.”

Since the show was filmed during the pandemic, there were bound to be some challenges. Rihanna spoke in an interview about implementing measures to keep the cast and crew safe from the coronavirus disease (COVID-19), all the while making the show feel as “visually enthusiastic as possible,” she said.

Filming a fashion show in a pandemic was just another challenge that Rihanna was able to seamlessly pull off.

Despite all of the positive feedback the show received, it did have its flaws. The show included producer coucou chloe’s 2016 song “Doom,” which sampled a hadith narrative about the end of times that offended Muslims.

Both coucou chloe and Rihanna released statements on social media addressing the use of the song and apologizing to the Muslim community. 

“I’d like to thank the Muslim community for pointing out a huge oversight that was unintentionally offensive in our Savage X Fenty show. I would more importantly like to apologize to you for this honest, yet careless mistake,” Rihanna said on Instagram.

“We understand that we have hurt many of our Muslim brothers and sisters, and I’m incredibly disheartened by this! I do not play with any kind of disrespect toward God or any religion and therefore the use of the song in our project was completely irresponsible! Moving forward we will make sure nothing like this ever happens again. Thank you for your forgiveness and understanding, Rih,” she said.

For a brand whose entire purpose is inclusivity, this oversight could be shattering to their image. Although it seems Rihanna and her team are taking the necessary steps to take care of the issue, it does not dismiss the hurt it caused to the Muslim community. 

coucou chloe also apologized in a tweet, stating that she should have done more research on the song used, and she is urgently removing it from all streaming platforms.