Rutgers issues weekly updated coronavirus testing results, resources for off-campus students

From Sept. 20 to 26, the University performed a total of 3,239 tests, including 3,148 negative results and 79 positive results. – Photo by Iconscout

Rutgers officials released their Weekly University Health Update yesterday with coronavirus disease (COVID-19) testing data from Sept. 20 to 26.

There were 3,239 tests performed by the University that week, with 3,148 negative results and 79 positive results, according to the email. Twelve tests came back as inconclusive, according to the University’s Testing Program Dashboard.

Of the 79 positive results, 76 were students and three were Rutgers employees, according to the dashboard.

Additionally, there were 72 positive cases associated with Rutgers—New Brunswick, while Rutgers—Newark and Rutgers Biomedical and Health Sciences (RBHS)—Newark had three positive cases each, according to the dashboard. RBHS—New Brunswick/Piscataway had one positive case.

Since the University began its testing program in May, there have been 195 students, 15 employees and 18 Rutgers affiliates who have tested positive for COVID-19 for a total of 228 positive cases, according to the dashboard.

Currently, 99.02 percent of all COVID-19 tests issued came back negative and .71 percent were positive, according to the dashboard.

Kerri Wilson, director of Off-Campus and Community Partnerships, also issued guidance for students living off-campus this week, including resources students can use to ensure the health and safety of both themselves and others.

She said students can visit Rutgers’ COVID-19 website and New Jersey’s COVID-19 Information Hub to stay up to date with the state’s current guidelines, according to the email. The Rutgers Off-Campus Living and Community Partnerships website also has updated FAQs available for students to consult, she said.

In the event that an off-campus student tests positive for COVID-19, Wilson said they should isolate for 10-14 days in order to protect the New Brunswick and campus community, according to the email. She said students should also comply with state contact tracers to help health officials monitor the spread of the virus.

“We encourage you to do what you can to support a healthy and safe community,” she said, according to the email. “This includes maintaining social distancing whenever possible, wearing a mask indoors when in public spaces and when social distancing outdoors is not possible and washing hands frequently.”

Wilson said students should also register their local address and emergency contact information with her office to receive updates on municipal information, programming and emergency alerts, according to the email.

Students struggling with food insecurity or academic issues during this time are also encouraged to reach out to the Rutgers Student Food Pantry and the Dean of Students Office, according to the email.