Rutgers gymnastics anoints 2 new team captains

Co-captain senior Belle Huang has competed in 38 meets on the Banks. – Photo by RU Gymnastics / Facebook

The Rutgers gymnastics team is getting ready for the new season by choosing seniors Emily Drauss and Belle Huang to be captains. 

Drauss, hailing from Longwood, Florida, will enter as captain in her third season as a Scarlet Knight. She received Academic All-Big Ten and Women's Collegiate Gymnastics Association (WCGA) Scholastic All-America honors this year along with Huang.  

As a junior last year, Drauss hit her personal best on bars with a 9.825. This gave Rutgers a boost by having the second-highest beam score in that event, sweeping a triple victory at home. 

In January, she accomplished a mark of 9.775 against Penn State. 

During her first season on the Banks as a sophomore, she achieved a high mark of 9.750 on uneven bars at the Big Ten Championships.  

Huang, coming from Gaithersburg, Maryland, has competed in 38 meets with more to come as she enters her fourth season with the program. 

She posted a career-best 9.800 on bars at the quad meet win at New Hampshire in March. She also ended this past season with a national qualifying score (NQS) of 9.855 on floor.

At an event in West Virginia, she finished second by posting a season-best of 9.900.

In February, at the Big Five meet, she helped the Knights in attaining the highest team vault scores in program history with an average of 9.850.

At Maryland, Huang placed second with a score of 39.300, tied second on beam and tied third on vault. She finished second on floor against Michigan State and the Nittany Lions.

As a sophomore, she tied the school record, posting a 9.925 on the balance beam.

Huang finished in first place a total of eight times that season and tied a former Rutgers member from 2002 for the highest Knights score at the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) level in any event. 

Last season's captains, Class of 2019 Shannon Farrell and Kaitlyn Hall, have now graduated along with Erin McLachlan.

Farrell ended the season with a 9.845 NQS on bars and posted a career-high with a 9.800 on floor at West Virginia and a 9.800 on vault at the Big Five meet. 

Hall finished on vault with an NQS of 9.855 and achieved a career-high of 9.875 on vault at the Big Five meet. 

“Their ability to motivate and encourage their teammates is well respected,” said head coach Umme Salim-Beasley. “Not only do they want the best for themselves, they want the best for their team as well. We are excited to see the direction their leadership will take this team.”

For updates on the Rutgers gymnastics team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.