RUSA releases preliminary results for fall elections, referendum

Students voted in favor of the University having its endowment funds divest from fossil fuel companies and invest in clean energy by 2030, as well as having student representation on the Rutgers Board of Governors. – Photo by Rutgers.edu

The Rutgers University Student Assembly released the preliminary results for its fall elections and campus referendum on Friday. 

For the first time, more than 10 percent of the Rutgers student body voted in these elections, according to the Assembly’s Facebook page. Voting was open from Monday, Sep. 28 to Thursday, Oct. 1.

Students voted in favor of the first item in the referendum, which referenced that the Assembly’s constitution should be completely amended to a new proposed constitution, according to the results.

This proposal includes that the Assembly will now receive 100 percent of student fees and determine funding allocations to the University’s professional student governments through a currently undetermined procedure, according to the Assembly’s proposed constitution.

Students also voted in favor of the University having its endowment funds divest from fossil fuel companies and instead invest in clean energy by 2030, according to the results.

Additionally, student representation on the Rutgers Board of Governors was voted in favor of, according to the results. The undergraduate student body president of the New Brunswick, Newark and Camden campuses were voted to represent each of their respective campuses.

As for individual campus representatives, a total of 34 students were elected to the Assembly, according to the results. Five candidates were selected to represent both Busch campus and the College Avenue campus, while three candidates were selected for Livingston campus and Cook campus. There were also four candidates elected for Douglass campus.

In addition, there was one student representative elected from the Class of 2024 for each campus, according to the results.