Molloy gives update on spring semester planning for Rutgers—New Brunswick

Rutgers—New Brunswick Chancellor Christopher J. Molloy said the schedule of classes for the spring semester will be available on Nov. 9, and registration will be open for all students on Nov. 30. – Photo by Rutgers.edu

Rutgers—New Brunswick Chancellor Christopher J. Molloy sent an email yesterday regarding the operating status of the New Brunswick campus for the Spring 2021 semester.

Molloy said they plan to have more in-person class during the spring semester, according to the email. He said the schedule of courses will become available on Nov. 9 and registration for the spring semester will be open for all students on Nov. 30.

“I have been working with the New Brunswick academic units to determine which courses can be taught safely in person with social distancing protocols in place,” he said, according to the email. 

Additionally, he said they will offer more on-campus housing opportunities, according to the email. The Division of Student Affairs will provide additional information in the upcoming weeks 

The application for on-campus housing will open at the end of this month and the Division of Student Affairs will provide additional housing information in the upcoming weeks, Molloy said, according to the email. 

“While we remain hopeful, the virus will ultimately dictate what the spring semester looks like,” he said, according to the email. “We are designing multiple scenarios to accommodate whatever reality we face. This includes plans to continue to support our staff, who have worked tirelessly during the pandemic.”

He also said that anyone who travels to the New Brunswick campus or enters a Rutgers building is now required to use the My Campus Pass Self-Screening application to complete the state-mandated coronavirus disease (COVID-19) training module, according to the email.

The Daily Targum previously reported that students and employees are also required to use the app to self-screen for COVID-19 symptoms and specify which University buildings they plan to enter each day.

In terms of testing, Molloy said they currently have a robust testing strategy implemented on campus, according to the email. He said these protocols are constantly updated to keep up with testing advancements, and the Rutgers community will be notified about any further changes as they continue to plan for the spring semester.

“We are committed to keeping our community healthy while providing a sense of security to the greatest extent possible,” he said, according to the email. “Thank you for your flexibility during this uncertain time. It is both acknowledged and appreciated.”