Rutgers officials update students on available resources

As students begin their second week of classes for the fall semester, members of the Rutgers community have reached out to remind students of what resources are available to them regardless of whether they are physically on campus.

Salvador B. Mena, vice chancellor for Student Affairs, sent a University-wide email on Friday detailing the services it offers and how students can get involved from home. 

“Student Affairs will continue to offer services and engagement opportunities to support your academic success and the overall student experience while keeping our community connected,” he said, according to the email. “Many of you have already participated in New Student Orientation virtually, taken online fitness classes or signed up for our Virtual Learning Communities.”

Mena said students are encouraged to visit getINVOLVED, where they can discover virtual programs and events, as well as different clubs and organizations at the University, according to the email.

Services such as counseling, emergency assistance, food pantry, coronavirus disease (COVID-19) testing and legal services are also available to students through several departments at the University, Mena said in the email.

“While most services will be provided remotely, some in-person services may be available when necessary with the proper safety measures,” Mena said, according to the email. “Please know that regardless of our in-person or remote services, we are here to support you and we encourage you to ask for help if you experience personal or academic hardship.”

Mena also reminded everyone to complete the mandatory COVID-19 online training, which provides information on the virus, as well as symptoms and precautionary steps that can be taken.

When it comes to mental health resources, Melodee Lasky, assistant vice chancellor for Student Affairs and associate vice president for Student Health Services, released an email with multiple phone numbers and Rutgers offices for students who may be struggling with mental health.

Numbers for both crisis and non-crisis situations are included, as well as a link to the Rutgers Community Concerns Report, where students can anonymously share a concern about another student who may be struggling with various issues.

“I believe the experiences we share, the connections we make and the actions we take — regardless of whether they are virtual or in-person — serve to strengthen the bonds of our Rutgers community and demonstrate what it means to be Scarlet Knights,” Mena said..