Marveling at Travis Scott: Brand deals, epic shows

Travis Scott is one of the biggest names in pop culture, and has done multiple exclusive brand deals in addition to his music.  – Photo by Flickr

Travis Scott is one of the most dominant forces in music today. His presence is peppered all throughout pop culture and his influence is seen all around the world.

His 2018 album “Astroworld” went number one on the U.S. Billboard 200 chart and is his most successful album to date. His rise to fame came from a combination of an incredible work ethic and mentoring from some of the most prominent and influential figures in rap. 

He started out co-producing on Kanye West’s "Cruel Summer" compilation album and had production credits on Kanye's 2013 album "Yeezus." He then became an in-house producer for West and elevated his platform significantly.

Scott’s 2015 debut album "Rodeo" went number three on the U.S. Billboard 200 chart and was later certified platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America. The lead single, “Antidote,” is certified quadruple platinum and is a perfect encapsulation of Scott’s sound. The sharp autotune vocals and dark production style are staples of his sound that he would later perfect on "Astroworld."

The combination of critical acclaim and the commercial success of "Rodeo" helped ascend Scott’s image as an innovative artist and certified his status as a star in the music industry. 

Being signed to West’s GOOD Music label helped him develop a mentor-like relationship with West, and West’s influence is clearly evident in his lyricism and production style. Scott has constantly referred to West as his stepdad and their bond is more like family. They are also related romantically to the Kardashian sisters and have collaborated on multiple songs. 

Ever since "Astroworld" released in 2018, Scott has become a global superstar and commands one of the most unique and supportive fanbases in recent memory. His merchandise and tours are very successful, and memes about his fans portray them as fashion-obsessed “ragers,” who are simultaneously niche and mainstream.

This generates publicity because his fan interactions are organic and don’t require Scott or his team to do any work — making him relevant and fresh without compromising his image.

His lack of bad publicity makes him perfect for endorsements and sponsorships. He recently collaborated with McDonald’s to create his own signature meal, joining Michael Jordan as the only other public figure to have a McDonald’s meal named after him.

He teamed up with Nike SB to create his own signature shoe that regularly resells for more than a thousand dollars. He performed virtually in the massively popular video game Fortnite for an audience of 27 million people. Despite these high-profile partnerships, he remains relatively quiet on social media and prefers to let his music speak for him. 

His stage performances are notorious for their intensity. He is an incredibly dynamic live performer and is known for inviting his fans on stage and forcing them to stage dive.

Countless performance compilations exist on YouTube that shows the insanity that is attending a Scott show. His concerts are their own separate brand of adrenaline and further boost his brand as a unique and personal artist. This sense of unity helps to break the barrier between an artist and his fans, and shows how he knows how to interact with his audience. 

Scott should be used as a blueprint for any artist that wants to be seen as a larger than life figure. His endorsements and albums are widely successful and prove that a rapper can be utilized successfully in multiple mediums.

Everything Scott does expands his career and makes him more interesting and accessible to his audience. His art and media endorsements certify his status in the music industry as a star, and his story is proof of the power of proper mentorship and self-control.