Editor's Picks: Movies

For the final portion of our series "Editor's Picks," we asked our editors what their favorite movies are.  – Photo by Kelly Carmack

Movies are a form of media like no other. To many, there’s no greater joy than seeing themselves on screen — which is why representation is so important. Movies win us over with their dazzling distortions of our reality, and many of us cherish our favorite movies for their brilliant stories, great acting, impressive animation and more. Or, we like them for the opposite reasons. A person’s favorite movie tells a lot about them. 

Given a time where escaping our realities has become particularly enticing, movies are being watched and discussed more than ever. We’re closing off our Inside Beat summer series of Editor’s Picks by asking The Daily Targum editors what their favorite movies are. 

Editor in Chief and Managing Editor — Andreana Loukidis and Michelle Fan

Loukidis and "Spirited Away":

Studio Ghibli movies are known for their beauty, creativity and the fairy tale-like nature of their stories. The Japanese anime studio is best known for one of the highest grossing animes of all time: “Spirited Away.” The movie is a 2001 film about Chihiro Ogino, a 10-year-old girl who enters the Japanese spirit world of Kami, who must work at a bathhouse to save her parents and return to the human world. 

Loukidis said, “I generally credit Studio Ghibli films for giving my childhood — and even adulthood — a sense of magic and wonder. ‘Spirited Away’ will forever remain close to my heart and I consider it one of the main movies that inspired me to pursue a career in film.”

Fan and "Princess Mononoke":

Another Studio Ghilbi film that is a favorite among the Targum editors is “Princess Mononoke.” The 1997 film is set in the late Muromachi period of Japan and follows an Emishi prince named Ashitaka. 

Fan spoke about her love for the film. She said, “My favorite movie of all time is the Studio Ghibli film, ‘Princess Mononoke’! Besides the breathtaking artwork and the incredible soundtrack, the story within the film and its environmental message make it one of the greatest Ghibli movies of all time. A tip for anybody watching — go for the English subtitles with the original Japanese audio.” 

News Desk — Hayley Slusser and Maddie McGay

Slusser and "Scott Pilgrim vs. the World":

“Scott Pilgrim vs. the World” is a 2010 film starring Michael Cera and Mary Elizabeth Winstead. The film follows Scott, a character who must defeat his new girlfriend’s seven exes in hilarious ways. His girlfriend is none other than Ramona Flowers, who is one of those unforgettable manic-pixie-dream-girls audiences can’t get enough of. The film is inspired by the comics of the same name and features actors like Anna Kendrick, Chris Evans, Aubrey Plaza, Alison Pill and Brie Larson. 

Slusser’s explanation for loving the film probably follows the same reasoning as many others. Slusser said, “My favorite movie is ‘Scott Pilgrim vs. the World’ because I have a crush on Flowers.” 

McGay and "The Shaggy Dog":

The 1959 Walt Disney film “The Shaggy Dog” is definitely not one of the most well-known of the popular studio’s movies. The black-and-white film is about a teenage boy who transforms into a dog due to a ring. 

McGay said, “One of my favorite movies from when I was younger was ‘The Shaggy Dog.’ My sister was obsessed with it and it reminds me of the times when she would force me to watch it with her over and over again."

Copy Desk — Eu-Jin Pak and Tiffany Park

Pak and "Her":

The 2013 American science-fiction movie — which is also somehow categorized as a romantic comedy film — “Her” is about a man that develops a relationship with an artificially intelligent virtual assistant. Yes, the film is just as weird and far-fetched as it sounds. The film stars Joaquin Phoenix as Theodore Twombly, the man that falls for the artificial intelligence (AI), and Scarlett Johansson as the female voice of the AI. 

“My favorite movie is 'Her,' because it shows insight in the way humanity is headed with its  dependence on technology while also showing a foreign but relatable romance between a human and an AI,” Pak said. “The soundtrack, especially the instrumentals, is also dreamy.”

Park and "Blade Runner":

"Blade Runner" is a science-fiction film directed by Ridley Scott with a very large fan base, loosely based on Philip K. Dick’s novel “Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?” The film stars a young (and very fine) Harrison Ford. 

Park said, “My favorite movie is ‘Blade Runner’ from 1982 (the final cut version!). Something about it has stuck with me ever since I first watched it, from the aesthetics to the dialogue itself.”

Sports Desk — Josh Valdez and Ray Lewis

Valdez and "The Natural":

Everyone loves a good ol’ fashion sports movie, right? “The Natural” is a 1984 American sports film mashed on the 1952 novel written by Bernard Malamud of the same name. It follows Roy Hobbs, a gifted baseball player throughout his career. 

Valdez said, “My favorite movie is ‘The Natural’ because I grew up watching it, and the story is timeless and inspiring.”

Lewis and "Interstellar":

“Interstellar” is a 2014 film directed by Christopher Nolan and stars Matthew McConaughey, Anne Hathaway and Jessica Chastain. In an attempt to save humanity, explorers must travel through space in a thrilling and exciting way, and the film has received much critical acclaim. 

Lewis said, “My favorite movie is ‘Interstellar’ because the plot is unforgettable. The movie is a work of art.” 

Photo Desk — Salma HQ and Kelly Carmack

HQ and "Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse":

HQ’s favorite movie is another animated instant classic: “Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse.” The 2018 American animated superhero film following Miles Morales as he navigates parallel universes and encounters different Spidermans from different dimensions along the way. 

She said, “A warm vibrant hug from nostalgia, this film’s aesthetics alone are enough to connect you to the hopeful version of yourself still stuck under the covers reading comic books with a flashlight. We are superheroes under the mask as much as we are with it on.” 

Carmack and "The Great Gatsby":

“The Great Gatsby” is a 2013 Australian-American film based on the 1925 novel by F. Scott Fitzgerald. In addition to being an altogether dreamy depiction of the Roaring Twenties, the soundtrack, acting and cinematography only enhance this. 

“My favorite movie is ‘The Great Gatsby' because I love the book, and the movie adaptation is stunning in terms of cinematography,” Carmack said. “Leonardo DiCaprio and Tony Parker excecute the roles extremely well in my opinion.” 

Opinions and Inside Beat — Jake McGowan and Ameena Qobrtay

McGowan and "Reefer Madness":

McGowan’s favorite film certainly says a lot about him. He chose a lesser-known movie called, “Reefer Madness.” As the title suggests, the film is about what happens when high school students try weed for the first time and follows their descent into madness. 

“My favorite movie is the 1936 film ‘Reefer Madness,'’’ McGowan said. “It’s a work of high art which artistically dispels the chaotic and detrimental impacts of getting hooked on the worst of all drugs, marijuana.”

Qobrtay and "Pride & Prejudice":

“Pride & Prejudice” is a 2005 film adaptation of Jane Austen’s 1813 literary masterpiece of the same name. The film follows Elizabeth Bennet, the second daughter of five, who crosses paths with a man she believes is proud, stubborn and rude — the notorious Mr. Darcy. 

Qobrtay said, “Begrudgingly, I have to admit, the movie that has really got me through this quarantine is the film ‘Pride & Prejudice.’ Although it’s incredibly white and Mr. Darcy is not as cute as I imagined him in the book, the themes explored, the intimacy between the characters and the notorious hand scene gets me every time. How am I supposed to watch Mr. Darcy pour his heart out in the rain without stanning? Also I can’t say no to Kiera Knightley.” 

Video Desk — Tarana Parekh and Eli Horowitz

Parekh and "The Truman Show":

Jim Carrey is an actor known for his comedy roles in movies like “Dumb and Dumber.” But taking on a serious role came naturally to the actor. “The Truman Show" is a 1998 psychological, science-fiction movie about a man that discovers his whole life is actually a reality TV show. It’s actually awesome and incredibly relevant, super-dystopian. 

Parekh said, “‘The Truman Show’ is one of my favorite movies due to its unique concept of a man slowly realizing his entire life has been a TV show. It’s an enjoyable watch because on the surface level, it’s a comedy, but can also be analyzed on a philosophical level on deciding to conform for comfort or risk finding your own path. Either way you choose to interpret it, the movie never fails to amaze those who watch it.” 

Horowitz and "Cinema Paradiso":

“Cinema Paradiso” or “New Paradise Cinema” in English is a drama loosely based on the story of the Protti family, who owned a movie theater in Italy since 1904. The film won the Best Foreign Language Film at the 62nd Academy Awards. 

Horowitz said, “One of my favorite movies is the 1988 Italian masterpiece ‘Cinema Paradiso’ directed by Giuseppe Tornatore. A love letter to cinema itself, 'Cinema Paradiso' pulls you by the heart strings and never lets go. It's a story about friendship, longing for the past and the thrilling escape that movies can provide. Funny, inspiring and full of heart, 'Cinema Paradiso' embodies everything I love about movies.”