Dean of Rutgers School of Dental Medicine discusses going to dentist during coronavirus pandemic

Cecile A. Feldman, dean of the Rutgers School of Dental Medicine, said dental offices throughout the country have implemented various safety procedures, including screening patients for symptoms the night before their appointment and when they come in, as well as limiting the number of patients allowed in the building at a time. – Photo by Courtesy of Carolyn Stetler

The World Health Organization advised in an August announcement to delay non-essential dental treatment during the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic until there has been a sufficient reduction in local COVID-19 transmission rates. Cecile A. Feldman, dean of the Rutgers School of Dental Medicine, said there are new safety protocols in place at dentists' offices to help lower health risks.

These protocols include screening patients for symptoms the night before an appointment and when they come in, setting dental office capacity limits and having patients wait outside or in their cars until treatment time, Feldman said. Dentists also use enhanced personal protective equipment, such as N95 masks and face shields.

“For decades, we've been very particular with regard to the personal protective equipment that we use,” Feldman said. “And all the evidence shows that if you're using the right protective equipment, people are protected.”

Dentists also work with their assistants to collect any aerosol that gets generated, she said. The Rutgers School of Dental Medicine assigned additional students to hold suction devices and installed air filters that improve the amount of outside air and decrease the amount of recirculated air, according to an article on Rutgers Today.

Feldman said it is important to continue seeing the dentist because oral health affects not just the mouth, but other parts of the body. For instance, poor oral health can contribute to worse glycemic control in diabetics, Feldman said. Nutrition also requires healthy teeth to chew food well, she said.

“The mouth is part of the rest of the body,” Feldman said. “So if you've got disease going on in your mouth, you can't be healthy.”

Patients’ preparations for an appointment will depend on the dental office and its protocols, Feldman said. Patients should generally expect a call the night before to screen for COVID-19 symptoms and another screening when they come in. They may be asked to notify the receptionist of their arrival via call and wait outside until it is their turn in the operatory.

“There's lots of protocols that we follow to make it safe for both the individuals that are providing the care and for the patients who are seeking care,” Feldman said. “If you take a look at the COVID-19 cases that we've had around the world to date, there is still not a single COVID-19 transmission that is associated with the dental office.”

Editor's Note: This article has been edited to provide further clarification regarding the World Health Organization's announcement.