Rutgers' Previlon, Seymour, earn undrafted free agent deals

Kamaal Seymour (left) and Willington Previlon (right) will both have chances to make NFL rosters this upcoming season. – Photo by Kelly Carmack

While the Rutgers football team did not see any players selected in the NFL Draft, two Scarlet Knights signed as undrafted free agents, continuing their football journeys. Fifth-year seniors defensive lineman Willington Previlon and offensive lineman Kamaal Seymour both earned contracts this past weekend after the draft.

Previlon looks to improve the pass rush in Green Bay, as he signed with the Packers, becoming a part of their 90-man training camp roster. The Orange, New Jersey native has a football story filled with highs and lows.

Previlon came to Rutgers from Orange High School, with Chris Ash giving him his only major Division I offer. In his first two seasons on the Banks, the defensive lineman did not play and only started a few games as a redshirt sophomore.

He stayed out of the starting lineup until late into the 2018 season and then used 2019 to show scouts the impact he could make. In a season that had very few highlights for the Knights, Previlon started every game and lead the team in tackles for loss with 7.5.

In the offseason, Previlon was honored at the end-of-season senior banquet by being awarded the Homer Hazel Award, given to the program's most valuable player each year. He follows NFL players Gus Edwards and Saquan Hampton, who won the award in 2017 and 2018, respectively. Previlon also won the David Bender Trophy as the top defensive lineman in the program and earned an All-Big Ten Honorable Mention selection.

Seymour has a chance to protect Raiders quarterback Derek Carr next season, as he signed a contract with Las Vegas. Seymour, a Brooklyn, New York native who was recruited to Rutgers as a defensive tackle, quickly moved to the other side of the ball, playing in 10 games with five starts as a redshirt freshman playing right tackle.

While his size made him more suitable at the guard position, Seymour continued to play right tackle on the Banks, playing in every game from the beginning of his sophomore season to his last time stepping on the field as a Knight. With 41 starts at Rutgers, he had the most overall on the roster last season.

Seymour was also honored at the end-of-season banquet this offseason, as he won the David Bender Trophy for being the top offensive lineman in the program. Seymour joins notable Knights who have won this award, including Super Bowl champion Shaun O'Hara and former first-round pick Anthony Davis.

Seymour saw his chances of getting drafted increase at the 2020 NFLPA Collegiate Bowl in Pasadena, California. During this time, Seymour lined up at guard and showed scouts the talent he had at the position. Chris Carlin, a sportscaster who works for ESPN New York radio, talked about Seymour's chances as an NFL guard.

"I think he's a little bit developmental, but I think that Kamaal is somebody that can definitely be a starter in the league on the offensive line," Carlin said.

While no current Rutgers players were picked in the draft, Jonah Jackson, an offensive guard who spent four seasons in Piscataway before playing at Ohio State as a graduate transfer, was drafted 75th overall by Detroit. Ron'Dell Carter and Nakia Griffin-Stewart, both former Knights who transferred away from the program, signed undrafted free agent deals as well. Carter, a defensive lineman who won CAA Defensive Player of the Year at James Madison, signed with Dallas. Griffin-Stewart, a tight end who played his final season at Pitt, signed with Minnesota.

"I'm sure whatever team thinks that I'm the right fit, will call my name or give me a call for a free agent or whatever, it doesn't really matter," Previlon said when talking about the draft process, according to Scarlet Nation. "I'm just hoping I get an opportunity to show what I got."

For updates on the Rutgers football team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.