Rutgers announces launch of website for coronavirus updates

The website includes up-to-date information, guidance and instructions for taking action against the novel coronavirus for members of the University community. – Photo by Photo by Salma HQ | The Daily Targum

University President Robert L. Barchi announced on Saturday the launch of its new website to keep members of the Rutgers community informed about the novel coronavirus (COVID-19), according to a University-wide email alert.

The website will include information about important developments, guidance and instructions for actions that can be taken in regards to the virus, according to the alert.

Barchi also said the University’s COVID-19 Task Force has been mobilized under the Office of Emergency Management, according to the alert.

“The Task Force is charged to develop plans that anticipated all probable scenarios of COVID-19’s effect on our mission of teaching, research and service,” Barchi said, according to the alert. “The Task Force has the authority to marshal any and all resources necessary to protect the health and safety of the members of our community in response to COVID-19.”

Barchi said the Task Force will provide updates to students, staff and faculty, and the website will update regularly, according to the alert.

“COVID-19 is a serious public health concern. I urge every member of the community to follow guidance from the CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) and the University with regard to your own personal health and safety and that of your colleagues,” Barchi said, according to the alert.

This alert comes just days before two more people tested positive for the coronavirus in New Jersey, bringing the total to six cases, according to an article on NJ Advance Media.

A 70-year-old man from Teaneck, New Jersey, and a 32-year-old man from West New York are currently being hospitalized and are in stable condition, according to the article.

“We expect increasing activity daily, if not hourly,” Commissioner of the New Jersey Department of Health Judith Persichilli said in regard to the spread of the virus, according to the article.

Persichilli said an additional 27 people in New Jersey are under investigation for potentially having the virus, according to the article. A total of 37 people in the state have already been tested.

“North to south, the coronavirus virus seems to be spreading,” Persichilli said, according to the article.

An Uber driver in New York, who tested positive for the virus, also drove passengers to New Jersey, and state officials are currently trying to determine how many people he came into contact with, according to the article.

While the six individuals have tested positive for the virus, they are considered to be presumptive positives until they are confirmed by the CDC, according to the article. State officials have yet to hear from the CDC, but expect to receive confirmation on all six cases this week.