Rutgers to partner with Google for library project

Rutgers University Libraries own rare texts and documents no longer in print which will be shared with Google to be uploaded online.  – Photo by Photo by Dustin Niles | The Daily Targum

Rutgers University Libraries are partnering with Google to provide online access to 190,000 titles as part of the Google Books Library Project, according to an article from Rutgers Today. 

The project aims to provide a catalog of texts for the public that cover a variety of genres throughout history. Rutgers will contribute books, journals and other documents to the database.

Krisellen Maloney, vice president for Information Services and University librarian, said the University Libraries hope this partnership can serve as a useful information resource for both citizens of New Jersey and people worldwide. 

“Digitizing these materials will allow us to increase access to our collections, contribute to the Big Ten Academic Alliance’s goals for cooperative curation and preservation and advance the local, national and global service missions of Rutgers University,” Maloney said. 

Some of the documents the University is sharing with Google include rare texts or documents no longer in print, according to the article. Other documents included will preserve Rutgers’ history, such as alumni publications or songbooks from Douglass Residential College. Items in the public domain will be visible for anyone, but previews for other materials will be available. 

The collaboration is expected to take approximately two years. Google will begin borrowing the documents from the Rutgers libraries to scan them at an off-campus facility, according to the article. The digital copy will be uploaded to the HathiTrust Digital Library and then Google Books, where the full text will be searchable. 

Robert Van Rennes, the Big Ten Academic Alliance’s associate director of library initiatives, said other Big Ten Conference schools have been involved in the Google Books Project, according to the article. 

“We chose to participate in the Google Books Library Project to preserve and promote access to historically significant print resources in our member libraries’ collections,” Van Rennes said. “The Big Ten Academic Alliance collection constitutes (more than) 20 percent of all titles in North America’s print book collection, and expanding access to these holdings is a major boon for everyone, anywhere in the world with access to the internet.”