Rutgers student is allegedly involved in racist verbal attack at Syracuse University

Syracuse University has been experiencing an increase in bias-related incidents within the past weeks.  – Photo by Flickr

An unidentified Rutgers student was allegedly involved in a racist verbal attack at Syracuse University, according to a speech from Syracuse University Chancellor Kent Syverud.  

The incident took place on Nov. 16 outside a party at the Alpha Chi Rho fraternity. Fourteen people allegedly yelled a racial slur at a Black student walking by, according to the Syracuse University Department of Public Safety

Syverud said only four of the individuals are affiliated with Syracuse University, while 10 of the others came from universities outside of central New York. 

“The student who was reported to be the most aggressive in this incident is affiliated with Rutgers University,” Syverud said.

All non-Syracuse University students have been referred to their own universities for disciplinary measures as well as the Onondaga County District Attorney, Syverud said. 

The incident is part of a series of racist or anti-Semitic incidents at Syracuse University, ranging from graffiti to a white nationalist manifesto being anonymously shared with students, according to The Daily Orange