RUSA allows for funding to have Eagleton bus students on Cook campus to polling place

The Rutgers University Student Assembly (RUSA) approved a bill to allocate $1,000 to the Eagleton Institute of Politics to provide transportation to polling stations for students on Cook campus for the upcoming Nov. 5 election. – Photo by The Daily Targum

The Rutgers University Student Assembly (RUSA) approved a bill to allocate $1,000 to the Eagleton Institute of Politics to provide transportation to polling stations for students on Cook campus for the upcoming Nov. 5 election.

The bussing, which will serve parts of the Cook campus by the Starkey apartments and off-campus students, will go to their designated off-campus polling place Parsons Elementary School. The transportation is independently contracted, with two vans fitting 24 people rotating around the clock. 

“Most of the polling locations on campus for students have to be either walkable or reachable via Rutgers bus,” said Subhadha Kartik, a School of Arts and Sciences sophomore and the legislative affairs committee chair. “This is the only one by Route One, which is not reachable from a Rutgers bus.”

Kartik said records are not kept of how many students use the shuttle in years past, but she claimed that the vans used for transportation had been consistently full for the past three years. 

The $1,000 is allocated from RUSA’s $5,000 annual voting-dedicated budget. The bill was passed with unanimous consent.