Barchi says he is looking in to pharmacy closure decision

University President Robert L. Barchi said climate change caused by humans is a scientifically validated reality. – Photo by Dustin Niles

University President Robert L. Barchi said during Friday’s University Senate meeting that he did not decide to close the on-campus student pharmacies and would be learning more information about the decision, a University spokesperson said in a statement to The Daily Targum. 

“In response to a question asked during the Q&A session of the University Senate address, President Barchi will update the University Senate on the Rutgers—New Brunswick pharmacy closures after receiving more information from the parties who were involved in the decision to close them,” the full University statement said. 

The statement does not say that the decision would be reversed.

The Targum reported last month that the overall student health program was expected to reach a $1 million deficit for the 2020 fiscal year, which was largely due to the meningitis B outbreak and growing deficits at the student pharmacies. 

“This is not something where I said, ‘Oh, let’s close the pharmacy,’ it is something that we have been looking in and working toward for a year or two trying to investigate. We have seen that the number of prescriptions have gone down with the pharmacy, and the costs have just really escalated,” said Melodee Lasky, assistant vice chancellor for Health & Wellness, to the Targum in early September.