Hillary Clinton received $25,000 from Rutgers for her conversation with Eagleton

Former secretary of state Hillary Clinton received $25,000 to attend tonight’s conversation with Ruth B. Mandel, director of the Eagleton Institute of Politics. She will discuss American democracy and its institutions, her political career and role in the women’s political movement. – Photo by Wikimedia

Rutgers paid former secretary of state Hillary Clinton $25,000 to attend tonight’s conversation with Ruth B. Mandel, director of the Eagleton Institute of Politics. 

The event originally scheduled to take place at the College Avenue Student Center was relocated to The Rutgers Athletic Center (RAC) earlier this month. Hillary is scheduled to discuss American democracy and its institutions, her political career and role in the women’s political movement.

The former U.S. senator and 2016’s Democratic presidential nominee was compensated an additional stipend for travel costs up to $1000, according to public access documents obtained by The Daily Targum.

In 2015, the Clinton Foundation announced that it had accrued $26 million in payments that had not been previously disclosed — about 20 colleges and universities joined the list of organizations and institutions who paid fees for speeches by either Hillary, former President Bill Clinton or their daughter Chelsea, according to an article from The Washington Post

Some universities were found paying as much $500,000, among the ones that Hillary visited, are Hamilton College and the University of California Los Angeles, where she was paid $300,000 through a private endowment fund a University donor established for a lecture series, UCLA spokesman Jean-Paul Renaud told The Washington Post

Among schools who paid between $100,001 to $250,000, Hillary visited Simmons College, the University of Connecticut and the University of Miami. Any schools that paid under for Clinton family members received a visit from either Bill or Chelsea, according to the article. 

Riding the heels of criticism over her expensive talks at the time, Hillary announced in 2014 that the money she earns from University talks funds her philanthropic efforts through the Clinton Foundation — an operating foundation that works to create economic opportunity, improved public health and inspire civic engagement and service, according to its site.

"All of the fees have been donated to the Clinton Foundation for it to continue its life-changing and life-saving work," she said in an interview with ABC News during 2014. "So it goes from a foundation at a university to another foundation."

University Spokesperson Neal Buccino said Hillary will receive a $25,000 honorarium for serving as the Clifford P. Case Professor for Public Affairs, according to an email to The Targum. 

“The professorship is made possible by an endowment fund established in honor of Senator Case after his death in 1982. The endowment is not funded by tuition or public funds,” he said.