Rutgers student dies in car crash

Moustafa Ahmed was enrolled in the School of Engineering and worked a co-op job during his time at Rutgers. He was known for being funny and sweet by his friends. – Photo by Facebook

Moustafa Ahmed, a School of Engineering junior and Bayonne, New Jersey native, died early Saturday in a car crash in Jersey City, according to an email sent to members of the University by Rutgers—New Brunswick Chancellor Debasish Dutta.

Dutta spoke about Ahmed's involvement in the Society for Hispanic Engineers and his work at a co-op job while taking classes at Rutgers. On Monday, memorial services were held for him.

“I am deeply saddened, again, to have to relay the news of the death of one of our students,” Dutta wrote in his email.

The chancellor said Ahmed will be remembered for his drive, intelligence and charisma. 

Selsebil Akat, a School of Arts and Sciences senior and friend of Ahmed, said she was notified through a friend's Instagram that Ahmed’s car skid on snow and crashed into a pole, he told her it happened around 2 a.m. on Saturday. She first became friends with him in middle school, and the pair attended a private Islamic high school in Teaneck, New Jersey and remained close throughout college. 

“He was always really nice,” Akat said. “I saw him on his birthday ... and he was laughing and asking me how I was even though we hadn’t seen each other in a couple months.”

Throughout her time at the University, Akat constantly found herself running into Ahmed, reminiscing about old times and people who they still kept in contact with, she said. 

“He would always ask me if I see a change in him, if that makes sense ... ” she said. “It was always the sweetest thing because he always tried to make himself a better version of himself.”

Ahmed always had a sweet disposition, Akat said. Despite occasionally losing touch, he always kept tabs on old friends and kept their memories alive — never forgetting to keep a familiar presence whenever he saw them on campus.  

“Some people become awkward after not talking for awhile,” Akat said. “But every time we talked it was so normal. It was as if we were like back in high school.” 

In his email, Dutta noted that grief counseling is available to anyone who needs support in wake of Ahmed's death. Students seeking help can contact the Center for Counseling, ADAP and Psychiatric Services (CAPS) or reach out to the Dean of Students Office.