Two separate aggravated assaults reported over the weekend

According to the New Brunswick Police Department, a shooting occurred at a greek life party on Oct. 28.  – Photo by The Daily Targum

Two individuals were sent to the hospital over the weekend for injuries sustained from unrelated aggravated assaults, according to two separate crime alerts sent to the student body.

At approximately 2:20 a.m. Saturday a University-affiliated victim was allegedly approached and assaulted by eight to nine males on Bishop Place, adjacent to College Avenue, who then fled. There were no weapons involved in this incident and no descriptions of the perpetrators, according to the first crime alert.

On Sunday at approximately 1 a.m., a non-University affiliated victim was allegedly assaulted with a sharp object while intervening in an altercation between two people he did not know on High Street, between Somerset and Hamilton streets, according to the second crime alert.

Descriptions of the perpetrators are limited at this time.

Both victims were transported to a local hospital with non-life threatening injuries, according to the crime alerts.

The Rutgers University Police Department will provide students, faculty and staff with escorts upon request by calling the police communications center at (732) 932-7211, according to the police reports.

Anyone with information is encouraged to contact the New Brunswick Police Department Detective Bureau at (732) 745-5217.

Alexandra DeMatos is a School of Arts and Sciences senior majoring in journalism and media studies and women's and gender studies. She is the editor-in-chief of The Daily Targum. Follow her on Twitter @dematosaa for more.