Rutgers chapter of Sigma Chi hit with cease and desist order during U. investigation

According to a University spokesperson, Sigma Chi is currently under investigation by the Office of Student Conduct and is prohibited from hosting events or participating in mixers. The fate of Derby Days, which was set to take place in November, has not yet been determined. – Photo by Dimitri Rodriguez

According to multiple sources, the Rutgers chapter of Sigma Chi fraternity was issued a Cease and Desist Order due to alleged infractions of the University policy.

Neal Buccino, the assistant director of Public and Media Relations at Rutgers University, provided The Daily Targum with the following statement.

“The Office of Student Conduct is investigating Sigma Chi for potential violations of University policy. The University has issued a Cease and Desist Order while the investigation is taking place. An organization cannot hold events while under a Cease and Desist Order.” 

While on probation Sigma Chi is barred from holding philanthropic events, including Derby Days — a fundraiser that collected more than $300,000 for the Children’s Miracle Network last year. It is currently unclear whether the event will continue this year without the fraternity’s involvement.

Derby Days was originally scheduled to take place in November.

Each academic year, the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Affairs releases a record of organizations that faced disciplinary action. Last spring, Sigma Chi was put on Restrictive Probation for "Social Policy Violations, Adherences to Other University Policies and Theft/Damage to Property," according to the document.

Taking into account the entire 2016-2017 Academic Year, Sigma Chi was one of only two greek life organizations that faced allegations beyond hazing and social policy violations.

The Office <g><g>of</g></g> Sorority and Fraternity Affairs failed to respond to The Targum’s request for comment by press time.

Editor's Note: This is a developing story. The Targum will continue to follow it as more information becomes available.

UPDATE: Eight Rutgers sororities speak out against Sigma Chi in unified statement.

Kira Herzog is a School of Arts and Sciences junior majoring in political science and journalism and media studies. She is the news editor for The Daily Targum. Follow her on Twitter @kiraherzog1 for more.