Rutgers women's soccer shuts down Michigan, earns 7th straight win

Redshirt sophomore goalkeeper Olivia Bodmer orchestrated another shut out in a 1-0 victory for the Rutgers women's soccer team over Michigan – Photo by Evin Roldan

The Rutgers women's soccer team breezed through another conference game after defeating Michigan 1-0 on Thursday night at the U-M Soccer Stadium in Ann Arbor, Michigan.

The Scarlet Knights (8-1-1, 4-0-0) started off slower than usual but came out victorious against the Wolverines (2-8-1, 1-3-0) in their first of three away matches.

Against Rutgers, Michigan totaled five shots on goal within the first half, as the Knights started the game very slow, and the Wolverine's press caused trouble. Redshirt sophomore goalkeeper Olivia Bodmer made a huge save with her fingertips to prevent a ball from going into the top corner, denying an early goal. 

Rutgers' first shot on goal came in the 21st minute. Senior forward Riley Tiernan, who scored the winner against Washington in the Knights' last game, ripped a shot from the top of the 18-yard-box that went just over the bar. This was easily Rutgers' most dangerous chance of the first half.

As soon as the second half began, sophomore forward Ashley Baran scored a screamer, firing a shot from the corner of the box. Her offering curled all the way into the far left post, giving the goalie no chance. Baran almost had a second tally later in the half when a ball found her through, leaving her one-on-one with the goalie. Defender Avery Kalitta made a last-ditch effort to slide tackle inside the box to block the shot, which helped her side relieve the pressure.

Senior forward Gia Girman also had a golden chance after a through ball behind the back line. Her well-timed run saw her in the box, but goalkeeper Stephanie Sparkowski did a great job coming off her line.

The game ended with just 1 goal in the Knights' favor, making it the second game in a row with the same 1-0 scoreline.

Rutgers is now 1 of only 3 teams in the entire conference to have a perfect campaign without dropping any points. The Knights have still only allowed 2 goals on the season, tying them for second in the least goals conceded in all women's Division I soccer thus far.

Rutgers will stay in Michigan but head to East Lansing for its next matchup against No. 1 Michigan State. The game will be played this Sunday, with kick off scheduled for noon, and be broadcast on Big Ten Plus.

For more updates on the Rutgers women's soccer team, follow @TargumSports on X.

To view more of Jonathan Vasquez's work, follow @VazSpeaksSports on X.