KONDA: 'De-influencing' holds influencers accountable

Column: Pitch in

It is important for influencers to advertise products they actually support in order to foster consumer trust and contribute to ethical advertising.  – Photo by TheRegisti / Unsplash

Influencers and other content creators on social media platforms such as TikTok, YouTube and Instagram have recently been attempting to 'de-influence' their viewers by considering the reality of purchasing a specific product.

Popular products that have gone viral due to their hype, versatility or price are now being scrutinized. Is it worth spending more than $10 on a Touchland hand sanitizer? How much better is it than a regular, less-pricey hand sanitizer? How different is a trendy, expensive designer bag from a cheaper alternative with the same functionalities?

While you could argue about certain products presenting advantages over others, most of the time, this hype has to do with how the product was marketed. Whether through influencers, brand deals, advertisements or commercials, you are always more inclined to buy something you have seen other people use.

On one hand, many influencers use the de-influencing trend to increase their credibility as a creator. Viewers are looking for creators that will market products of their liking, and they also want to see people willing to tell them what is not worth purchasing.

Creators living lavish lifestyles tend to post content that promotes expensive products, ranging from cosmetics to kitchenware, which most people cannot afford. But when viewers see their favorite creator use a product that seems perfect, they are more inclined to purchase their own.

On the other hand, viewers are becoming increasingly wary of who they trust regarding product marketing.

In January, Mikayla Nogueira, a TikTok beauty influencer, was involved in a controversy surrounding an over-exaggeration of the new L'Oreal Paris Telescopic Lift mascara. Viewers pointed out that Nogueira appeared to be wearing lash extensions while praising the integrity of the product.

Users noticed that the advertisement was filmed in partnership with L'Oreal Paris and wondered whether Nogueria accepted the deal simply for the paid aspect. This led to a significant number of viewers considering the possibility of other creators doing the same.

With approximately 95 percent of companies using influencers to market their products, people are becoming more accustomed to seeing another person telling them what to buy. The fact is, it works, but it could have a negative impact when influencers are marketing products that are unnecessary or falsely advertised.

As Generation Z contributes to a large portion of social media users, they are also more concerned about the honesty of companies and influencers. Approximately 82 percent of Generation Z participants said in a study that they would rather have honest customers review and advertise products.

Similarly, Generation Z finds it necessary to gain trust in a brand over time, meaning they prefer transparency and honesty when receiving product recommendations. This can also be seen when an influencer talks about products for people that belong to a specific community.

For example, makeup and skincare products for darker-skinned individuals who may have trouble finding beauty products to match their skin tone benefit from honest recommendations. They can consider the pros and cons of a product, buy their own, enjoy the product and slowly begin to trust the influencer's words.

While influencers can be associated with a specific brand, it is essential for them to market products that they genuinely believe are high quality and worth the price. Companies will continue to reach out to content creators as a means of advertising, but viewers trust them to say no when it does not align with their beliefs.

Influencers participating in the de-influencing trend highlight the importance of placing their viewers over a brand deal. Sophie Attwood, the founder of Sophie Attwood Communications, says that user reviews tend to gain a reputation for authenticity compared to ads created by celebrities partnering with brands.

If creators begin to value making money from a partnership over integrity, what differentiates them from money-hungry stars?

De-influencing, in the long run, will have an overall positive impact on modern consumers. It forces you to realize that many influencers accept brand deals to make money rather than truly recommend a product. To spread their brand, corporations will target users that are starting to have an impact on a larger and larger viewer base.

After all, customer consumption is their profit, so why not strive for the best? We must continue to hold brand ambassadors, influencers and companies accountable for their advertising.

This is how you can pitch in too.

Vaishnavi Konda is a first-year at Rutgers Business School majoring in business analytics and information technology and minoring in linguistics. Her column, "Pitch In," runs on alternate Fridays.

YOUR VOICE | The Daily Targum welcomes submissions from all readers. Due to space limitations in our print newspaper, letters to the editor must not exceed 900 words. Guest columns and commentaries must be between 700 and 900 words. All authors must include their name, phone number, class year and college affiliation or department to be considered for publication. Please submit via email to oped@dailytargum.com by 4 p.m. to be considered for the following day's publication. Columns, cartoons and letters do not necessarily reflect the views of the Targum Publishing Company or its staff.