LOPEZ-ORTIZ: iPads prove to be worthwhile purchase for college students

Column: Food for Thought

As the spring semester begins, college students should consider purchasing an iPad for more seamless note-taking and studying practices. – Photo by Francois Hoang / Unsplash

Over the winter break, I asked my parents for an iPad for Christmas. When they asked me why I wanted one when I already had my laptop, I told them that the iPad was perfect for taking notes and would also give me the motivation to do my work before the last minute. When the clock hit midnight on Christmas morning, I opened my present and saw an iPad.

I was excited to go back to school to use it. I watched clips of how to decorate and personalize iPads, and I spent my whole winter break watching TV shows and decorating my iPad to look aesthetically pleasing by purchasing a case and looking at the features that it included.

I do have a laptop that I primarily use to do all my work, which includes writing papers that require using a computer to type. But iPads have features that make them a useful purchase, especially as a college student.

Most commonly, iPads provide a way to take notes. When paired with the Apple Pencil, it mimics an actual notebook for writing down notes during lectures. Through specific applications such as Notability or GoodNotes, it has an audio recording feature in which you can record lectures, so later you can revisit them in case you missed something.

Having an iPad ensures that students do not have to spend money on notebooks each semester. Going paperless can reduce the amount of paper that students use for school. It also reduces the amount of weight I have to carry walking to various places throughout the day.

Writing on my iPad has made school enjoyable when taking notes. I have talked to several of my friends who also appreciate iPads because of the option of inserting pictures into notes that you are able to write on and study from.

The iPad also has a feature in which you can use a split screen while writing notes, which is essential for when I want to write notes and view a show at the same time.

Since my major also requires a lot of reading, using my iPad is the perfect way to read and annotate notes. I can download PDFs and use textbooks on my iPad which is convenient as everything is in one place. So far, when I have used my iPad for school, I find it easier than my previous methods since I have all my notes in one place where I can access them.

I also use the device as a calendar and a to-do list to keep up with my work and the clubs I am in — meaning I do not have to worry about spending money on planners.

Not only does the iPad replace my notebook, but it also replaces my computer for the most part. There are keyboards that can connect to the iPad which then eliminates the need for a computer for typing essays. Depending on the keyboard you purchase, you can save money compared to the price of a laptop.

I also use my iPad for personal activities, including watching my TV shows while I eat and as a second screen while doing work on my computer. Whenever I get the chance, I also like to read on my iPad.

The only downside is that the cost of an iPad can be a bit high — an iPad can cost more than $1,000 depending on which version you choose. This can be expensive, especially for a college student. Though, I would say that investing in an iPad can be a great product that helps students excel in their college experience.

Having an iPad has made my life easier. While it cannot completely replace a computer for me, but it has a lot of benefits. If you are still on the fence about buying an iPad, keep in mind that there are many great features.

Overall, having an iPad has made note-taking easier and has given me the motivation to finish my work on time. I appreciate the simplicity of the iPad and how it is easy to navigate. Purchasing an iPad is definitely worth it, whether you are beginning your college journey or want a new way to start the year off.

Daisy Lopez-Ortiz is a sophomore in the School of Arts and Sciences majoring in political science and minoring in Spanish. Her column, "Food for Thought," runs on alternate Wednesdays.

YOUR VOICE | The Daily Targum welcomes submissions from all readers. Due to space limitations in our print newspaper, letters to the editor must not exceed 900 words. Guest columns and commentaries must be between 700 and 900 words. All authors must include their name, phone number, class year and college affiliation or department to be considered for publication. Please submit via email to oped@dailytargum.com by 4 p.m. to be considered for the following day’s publication. Columns, cartoons and letters do not necessarily reflect the views of the Targum.