Rutgers wrestling defeats in-state rival Princeton

The Rutgers wrestling team needed a bonus match point to defeat rival Princeton to retain the New Jersey-shaped B1G-Ivy Trophy. – Photo by @RUWrestling / Twitter

The B1G-Ivy Trophy will stay in Piscataway as Rutgers wrestling defeated Princeton in a cross-state rivalry dual for the second year in a row. The Scarlet Knights (6-1, 0-0) earned their sixth dual win over the Tigers (0-4, 0-0) with a final score of 17-16.

The dual started off in a back-and-forth battle as both teams won 2 out of the first 4 matches. Princeton won the first match, and it went back and forth from there. Right before the intermission, the top wrestler in the nation at 157 pounds Quincy Monday would beat sophomore 157-pounder Andrew Clark 13-3 for a major decision victory. This would give the Tigers a 10-6 lead heading into the intermission.

After the Intermission, sophomore 165-pounder Connor O’Neill would fall to Blaine Bergey by a decision of 8-4 increasing Princeton's score to 13. 

Rutgers would eventually strike back, winning two matches back to back. Junior 174-pounder Jackson Turley would beat Kole Mulhauser by a decision of 8-5. The Knights would then tie up the match at 13 after freshman 184-pounder Brian Soldano defeated Nate Dugan with a 10-1 major decision.

After Rutgers tied up the match, Luke Stout would beat junior 197-pounder Billy Janzer by a 1-0 decision and give the Tigers a 16-13 lead.

Junior 265-pounder Boone McDermott would then beat Travis Stefanik by a decision of 5-3, tying the match up at 16. Since the Knights had more total match points than Princeton, they would earn an extra point that ended up being the deciding factor.

With this win, the program is now on a four-dual winning streak since its lone loss to No.12 Arizona State in November.

Junior 141-pounder Sammy Alvarez would receive his first loss of the season as he was defeated by Danny Coles 4-3. Alvarez now falls to 6-1 in dual matches on the season. With his victory over Stefanik, McDermott keeps his undefeated streak on the season alive.

Rutgers wrestling will have a few weeks off before its next event. The Knights will be traveling to the Midwest to compete in the 2022 Ken Kraft Midlands Championship in Evanston, Illinois, on December 29 and December 30. 

For more updates on the Rutgers wrestling team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.