Greg Schiano speaks to media ahead of primetime game with Michigan

Head coach Greg Schiano and the Rutgers football team host Michigan under the lights this Saturday, as spoken about to the media yesterday during his weekly press conference.  – Photo by Scarletknights.com

Rutgers football head coach Greg Schiano spoke to the media ahead of Saturday night's matchup between the Scarlet Knights (4-4, 1-4) and nationally ranked Michigan.

To begin his weekly Wednesday media availability, Schiano discussed how he deals with civics outside of football. This upcoming Tuesday is Election Day, and Schiano encourages his players to vote. He recognizes how the sport of football can help his players outside of the game.

"It is not easy to be a Rutgers football player. It’s really hard, and that’s preparing them for life," Schiano said. "People fought so we can have the ability to vote. If we don’t vote, then it’s in vain."

When he shifted to talking about the game at hand, Schiano believes the No. 4 Wolverines’ (8-0, 5-0) rushing attack is different from Minnesota’s rushing attack last week.

"Some of the same things, some different things. Minnesota doesn’t have as much menu (in the run game) as Michigan does," Schiano said.

As of today, Michigan ranks fifth in college football with an average of more than 240 rushing yards a game. Its lead rusher Blake Corum will be a player that Rutgers will have to watch. This season, he has just more than 1,000 yards on nearly 200 attempts, working out to be 6 yards per carry.

When asked about interim offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach Nunzio Campanile’s evaluation this year since getting the job a few weeks ago and whether he will have a role with the team next year, Schiano said he is just focused on what is to come this season. 

"I’ll get into all that at the end of the season. Right now we’re just trying to win this game. That stuff, once you make the move, I just get back to work," Schiano said.

In 2020, the Knights lost to the Wolverines in a triple overtime battle by a close score of 48-42. Last season, Rutgers lost by one possession at the Big House in Ann Arbor, Michigan.

These competitive games have Knights fans believing an upset could potentially be in the cards. But Schiano isn’t focused on the past.

"I think (2020) and (2021) are their own years, and 2022 is this year. Everything will be about what we do Saturday night," Schiano said.

Schiano spoke about the development of junior running back Aaron Young, who after playing mostly on special teams in the program's win against Indiana two weeks ago, took three carries for 7 yards last week against the Golden Gophers (5-3, 2-3). 

"He’s coming along, but we’re excited about him," Schiano said. "You saw a little bit of him against Indiana, you saw a little more in Minnesota. Hopefully, we’ll see more against Michigan."

Sophomore defensive lineman Aaron Lewis is another player that Schiano praised for his hard work and talked about how he saw Lewis’ potential when he was a recruit.

Through eight games played, Lewis has 35 total tackles as well as one sack and one forced fumble.

"The same effort we see here, (Lewis) played the game that way in high school," Schiano said.

Rutgers will kick off its Big Ten primetime matchup at 7:30 p.m. this Saturday at SHI Stadium on Busch campus. The game will be broadcasted on the Big Ten Network and 88.7 WRSU-FM.

For more updates on the Rutgers football team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.