Greg Schiano, Noah Vedral speak to media ahead of Michigan State

Rutgers football head coach Greg Schiano answered questions about his quarterback room in his weekly Wednesday media availability. – Photo by Rutgers Football / Twitter

Rutgers football head coach Greg Schiano and senior quarterback Noah Vedral spoke about sophomore quarterback Gavin Wimsatt as well as the positional room as a whole ahead of the Scarlet Knights (4-5, 1-5) matchup against Michigan State this Saturday.

"(Wimsatt's) growing. He’s learning. That’s really what stands out," Schiano said. "There’s a lot of first-time things because every week you play against a different defense."

Last week, Wimsatt led Rutgers to a 17-14 lead at the half against Michigan with a few long throws and a red zone touchdown pass, but he threw three interceptions in the second half, all in the span of five passing attempts in 6 minutes. By the end of the game, the No. 3 Wolverines (9-0, 6-0) defeated the Knights 52-17.

"I have a saying: 'If you’re not good in the comfort of the air conditioning and a leather chair, then you got no chance on the field,'" Schiano said. "The expectation is you better be good in the meeting room as a quarterback, but then, you (have to) be out there and read it all out, and that alone is hard enough."

Schiano took time to talk about how the quarterbacks all have a strong bond on and off the field as Vedral has taken both Wimsatt and sophomore quarterback Evan Simon under his wing.

"We've got a really good room. They back each other, they joke with each other, they help each other — I think all by (Vedral's) leadership," Schiano said. "These are all young kids, and (Vedral) sets the tone of how a quarterback room should be and that’s one of the reasons (Vedral) will be a great coach when he finally gets to coaching because he understands chemistry and human dynamics."

Once Vedral found his gift of teaching football when he was a sophomore at Nebraska, he started to get intrigued about a potential future as a coach.

This season, Vedral has really embraced that mentor role Schiano says he has stepped into. One of his main goals is to teach the skills he learned along the way of his football career to the younger quarterbacks. 

"Helping them compartmentalize, categorize, all of that stuff to make it simpler and faster for them — that’s the stuff I like to do," Vedral said.

The senior was all in for Wimsatt when he was notified that the sophomore would take over as the team’s starting quarterback. 

"I told them that I’m here to help win, and if that’s what we are going to do to win, let’s win," Vedral said. "And I’ll go all in with that. So that’s where I’ve been at, and that’s what we’re doing right now and that’s the plan going forward."

Wimsatt looks to be the starting quarterback once again for Rutgers against the Spartans (4-5, 2-4) and will try to recreate his first-half performance from last week.

The Knights will kick off with Michigan State at noon on Saturday in Spartan Stadium. The game will be broadcasted on the Big Ten Network as well as 88.7 WRSU-FM.

For more updates on the Rutgers football team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.