Rutgers men's soccer hosts Michigan in final Big Ten home game

Graduate student midfielder Pablo Avila and the Rutgers men's soccer team will look to bounce back tomorrow when they take on Michigan. – Photo by Scarletknights.com

Tomorrow night, the Rutgers men’s soccer team will come back to Piscataway to take on Michigan. The Scarlet Knights (6-3-5, 2-2-2) will look to stay undefeated at Yurcak Field on Busch campus and get a win in Big Ten competition.

The last time these two teams met was in October 2021, and the Wolverines (4-7-3, 1-4-1) handed Rutgers a 2-1 loss.

The Knights are coming off a 4-3 loss to Michigan State. In the first period, the game was back and forth as the Spartans (6-5-2, 3-1-1) ultimately led 3-2 after the first 45 minutes. In the second half, Michigan State would tack on another goal to make the score 4-2 before Rutgers would get a consolation goal back in the 90th minute.

Michigan has struggled on the pitch this season, especially in the attack. The Wolverines’ 14 goals scored this season are last in the Big Ten. Their 20 goals allowed put them in the middle of the rankings.

Michigan is taking 13.7 shots per game and allowing its opponents to take 10.7 shots per game. No one on the team has more than 2 goals scored or more than 5 points. The last time out, the Wolverines beat Bradley 3-0 to break a four-game winless streak.

The Knights have struggled on the defensive side of the ball this season. They have let up 27 goals this season, which is the second most in the Big Ten, and they have let up 9 goals in the last four games. Rutgers has especially struggled to defend crosses inside the team's 18-yard box.

The Knights have had a high-motored attack all season. They lead the Big Ten with 33 goals scored and are the only team with more than 30 goals scored. They also lead the conference in shots, taking 15.2 shots per game.

The Rutgers offense is led by the trio of senior forward MD Myers, senior midfielder Jackson Temple and graduate student midfielder Pablo Avila. Avila is third on the team and ninth in the Big Ten with 12 points. Avila has 4 goals and four assists on the season and has really come into form in the last couple of games. 

Temple is second on the team and tied for third in the Big Ten with 16 points. He is also tied for fourth in the conference with 5 goals and tied for second with six assists. Expect Temple to be very active down the wings against Michigan.

Myers is having a year to remember on the Banks. He leads all of NCAA Division I men’s soccer with 12 goals. In the Big Ten, Myers has 5 more goals than the next closest player. He also leads the Big Ten with 28 points, with no other player having more than 20. The attacker has scored only 2 fewer goals than the entire Wolverines team combined.

The game will kick off at 7 p.m. as the Knights look to get back to winning ways at home.

For more updates on the Rutgers men's soccer team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.