Rutgers men's soccer drops high-scoring affair to Michigan State

Junior forward Ola Maeland and the Rutgers men's soccer team lost to Michigan State today. – Photo by  Leigh Lustig

This afternoon, the Rutgers men’s soccer team fell to Michigan State 4-3. This ended a two-game undefeated streak for the Scarlet Knights (6-3-5, 2-2-2).

Five goals were scored in the first half. Jonathan Stout got the scoring started for the Spartans (6-5-2, 3-1-1) by tucking his shot past freshman goalkeeper Ciaran Dalton and into the bottom left corner of the goal in the 11th minute.

Rutgers would respond 10 minutes later when sophomore midfielder Matthew Acosta’s shot was redirected into the back of the net by senior defender Hugo Le Guennec.

In the 30th minute, Stout would score again to reinstate the 1-goal lead for Michigan State. Only 17 seconds later, senior forward MD Myers drove into the box and found junior forward Ola Maeland who fired a shot into the bottom left corner of the goal to tie the game again for the Knights.

Rutgers could not contain Stout in the 41st minute. He found Kellan Landefeld who slotted the ball into the net to give the Spartans a 3-2 lead at the half.

The first 45 minutes were very fast-paced. The Knights took 13 shots in the period, and Michigan State took six. Rutgers also had two corner kicks in the half.

The second half was calmer for both teams. The Spartans would extend their lead to 4-2 when Greyson Mercer shot the ball into the bottom center of the goal and past Dalton. Stout would tally another assist on the goal.

Myers got a consolation goal for the Knights in the 90th minute, his 12th goal on the season. The forward currently leads all of NCAA Division I in goals scored. Despite the late goal, the game would end in a victory for Michigan State.

Rutgers took 18 shots in the game with nine of those being on target. The Spartans took 13 shots with six being on target. 

Owen Finnerty had a strong game in between the sticks for Michigan State. Finnerty made six saves. Stout also had a strong game, scoring 2 goals and contributing two assists.

Senior midfielder Jackson Temple got an assist for the Knights and now has a team-leading six assists on the season.

Rutgers will look to bounce back when the team faces off against Michigan on Friday in its final game of the season at Yurcak Field on Busch campus. Kick-off is scheduled for 7 p.m. 

For more updates on the Rutgers men's soccer team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.