EDITORIAL: Targum editors share how they destress after midterms

When school gets stressful, it is necessary to have places to unwind and recharge

The Daily Targum's editors reflect on some easy ways to destress and relax on campus after midterms.  – Photo by Rutgers.edu

By October, students have survived the first wave of big exams and papers. Here are some ways to unwind and relax to destress, according to The Daily Targum's editors.

Isabella Tyszka, editor-in-chief: "I love sitting near Passion Puddle with a good book to unwind. I think it's easy to lose yourself with all the stressors that come along during a semester, but I've found that just sitting in nature surrounded by the trees helps immensely."

Victoria Yeasky, managing editor: "After a stressful midterm, there’s nothing better to me than jumping in my bed and taking a nice, long nap. I’m a big napper, and sleeping away the mental and physical pain of a stressful exam is my preferred coping mechanism. Then, bars."

Astha Lakhankar, head news editor: "When I feel stressed and need to unwind, I like listening to going to my room and watching a movie in my bed. If I feel a little more active, I enjoy going to Hidden Grounds (on the corner of Easton Avenue and Mine Street) and getting a comforting hot chocolate."

Kithmy Wickramasinghe, associate news editor: "After stressful midterms, I really enjoy taking myself out for a treat. I have a really strong sweet tooth, so my go-to is a vanilla milkshake from Thomas Sweet in New Brunswick. It's a small family-owned business that has great quality ice cream. Definitely worth a visit if you're in the area!"

Claire Bruno, associate news editor: "My favorite way to unwind after school gets stressful or when I have exams is by getting myself a coffee and sitting down somewhere. It's easy to do this on campus because New Brunswick has a lot of nearby nice options of coffee shops and smaller restaurants to offer. Some of my favorites include Efes Cafe, Hidden Grounds and Fritz's for a calming environment to sit down and take a break with a good coffee."

Ricky Suta, opinions editor: "To unwind after some stress, I enjoy getting coffee (for social reasons instead of the need for caffeine)! I really enjoy spending a few hours at Hidden Grounds with friends just chatting and not worrying about school."

Dylan McCoy, head sports editor: "There are many places where I find myself relieving stress, but no place does this better than the bars on Easton Avenue. Olde Queens, Scarlet Pub and Huey’s are places where my friends and I have great times with each other, watch sports and interact with the greater Rutgers 21+ community."

Jack Bisaha, associate sports editor: "I am constantly on the move all week, so I really can't think of a place on campus where I am really able to sit and chill for an extended period of time. When I do get that downtime at night though, I like being in my apartment hanging out by myself or chilling with friends on the weekend."

Vy Nguyen, head copy editor: "As someone whose internal monologue can often be overwhelmingly loud, I really like to listen to podcasts to decompress. Depending on my mood, you can find me listening to either 'Celebrity Memoir Book Club' or to 'The Ezra Klein Show' — either of which compliments coffee and a walk around campus perfectly."

Henry Wang, photography editor: "Whenever I am stressed, I find that cleaning out my room and work desk is a great way to relax and help clear my head. Afterward, I can get to work with some good noise-canceling headphones."

Chris Kim, head video editor: "As a (journalism) student, I don't remember the last time I had to sit down and take a midterm, but if midterm papers count, then my go-to activity is always going to my room and taking a break."

Jonny Berkowitz, associate video editor: "Favorite spot is my room. No one will bother me, and I need peace and quiet."

Meredith MacLean, inside beat editor: "As someone who's lived in and around New Brunswick as a Rutgers student, has terrible laziness and spending habits and is very opinionated, I consider myself a pretty good authority on some of the best places in New Brunswick to grab a bite. If you want a massively underrated bar with an incredible happy hour and much more laid-back vibes than the dance-happy bars on Easton Avenue? Olive Branch.

"Need a better environment than Starbucks to think about how cool you are for being one of those people that hangs out in a coffee shop? Hidden Grounds. Want something called a margarita tower and to eat your weight in delicious food? Check our Barca City (seriously, get their bocadillos). Other top-tier food recommendations include Destination Dogs, Poke Nagomi, Diesel and Duke, Wings Over Rutgers and Noodle Gourmet.

"Oh, and Giovanelli's has much better pizza than Krispy if you don't want to take too long a walk to get a slice. If you're for some reason not looking to eat and or drink your midterms troubles away, the whole of the College Avenue campus is a great place to just stroll around with your headphones on."

Rachel Chang, social media editor: "After a stressful time, I like going to get myself an iced matcha from Hidden Grounds and going back home to catch up on some shows."

The Daily Targum's editorials represent the views of the majority of the 154th editorial board. Columns, cartoons and letters do not necessarily reflect the views of the Targum Publishing Company or its staff.