Rutgers men's soccer ties with Yale in 2nd tie of season

Senior forward MD Myers scored both goals for the Rutgers men's soccer team in its 2-2 tie against Yale. – Photo by Scarletknights.com

The Rutgers men's soccer team tied with Yale 2-2 tonight on a humid evening on Busch campus. This marks the second-straight tie for the Scarlet Knights (1-1-2) and the second game in their five-game homestand.

The game started off well for Rutgers when Sam Harshe committed a foul in the penalty box only 6 minutes into the game. Senior forward MD Myers then stepped up to take the penalty kick and slotted the ball in the top left corner to give the Knights a 1-0 lead.

At the 25-minute mark, the Bulldogs (0-0-2) tied the game with a penalty kick goal of their own. A handball in the box by senior defender Chris Tiao sent Yale's Paolo Carroll to the penalty spot. Freshman goalkeeper Ciaran Dalton dove left, and Carroll sent the ball to the bottom right corner and tied the game up at 1-1.

Rutgers dominated the first period with 8 shots compared to the Bulldogs’ 4. Despite the shot difference, Yale was the only team to force a save out of either goalkeeper in the first period.

The second period remained quiet until the 61st minute when a pass from Max Rogers found Eric Lagos who scored to put the Bulldogs up 2-1.

The Knights would answer Yale’s lead-taking goal in the nick of time. With just more than 3 minutes left to play in the game, senior midfielder Jackson Temple’s pass found Myers, who scored the ball in the upper left corner to tie the game at 2-2, sending the crowd into a frenzy. 

The two teams would go scoreless for the rest of the game despite two close shots by Rutgers in the final minutes.

Despite the tie, the Knights continued to dominate the shot count in the second period with 12 shots compared to the Bulldogs' five. They also forced Yale’s goalkeeper Elian Haddock into two saves in the second period.

The game was physical as four Bulldogs and six Rutgers players received yellow cards. Each team committed 12 fouls over the course of the game.

Myers was the standout player for the Knights. In 81 minutes played, Myers attempted nine shots, got three on target and scored twice. Temple also had a very good game, taking two shots and getting one assist in 57 minutes of play.

Rutgers will look to get their first win since their season opener when the team hosts Rider on Friday at Yurcak Field. Kick-off is scheduled for 7 p.m.

For updates on the Rutgers men's soccer team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.