Rutgers men's soccer looks to continue winning ways against Albany

Senior forward MD Myers and the Rutgers men's soccer team will look to stay unbeaten in September when they host Albany. – Photo by Rutgers Men's Soccer / Twitter

The Rutgers men’s soccer team will look to earn the program's second straight victory when it takes on Albany tonight. The Scarlet Knights (2-1-2, 0-0-0) are coming off of a 2-1 win versus Rider last Friday at Yurcak Field on Busch campus.

Rutgers dominated the stat sheet versus the Broncs (0-4-0, 0-0-0). The Knights had four more shots than Rider and two more shots on goal. The team also had four more corner kicks than the Broncs and committed four fewer fouls. The win marked Rutgers’ first since the season opener back on August 25.

The Knights have improved defensively since the start of the season when they allowed 2 goals to Omaha and 6 goals to Creighton. In the last three games, Rutgers has only allowed 4 goals

The attack has been very strong for the Knights, averaging 2 goals per game and are outshooting their opponents 71 to 54. Despite Rutgers outshooting its opponents by 17 shots, its opponents have one more shot on goal (SOG).

The Knights have only a 36.6 SOG percentage which means that while they are shooting a lot, the quality of the shots are low. Look for Rutgers to be a little more selective in its approach.

Senior forward MD Myers has shined for the Knights. In five games played, Myers has 5 goals and one assist. Nobody else in the program has more than 1 goal so far in the season. His 11 points lead the team and his 61.9 SOG percentage has been a big reason for his early season success.

Senior midfielder Jackson Temple is second on the team with 4 points. He is tied for the team lead with two assists and his link-up play with Myers is very strong.

The Great Danes (1-3-1, 0-0-0) were chosen to finish fourth in the America East Preseason Coaches Poll. After a rough four-game stretch in which the team did not win a single game, Albany was able to right the ship last Friday night, beating Penn 1-0 for its first win of the season.

The Great Danes have struggled to score goals all season, only scoring three times in five games. Their back line has been solid as they have only allowed opponents to average 1.2 goals per game in their first five outings.

Rutgers will have to watch out for midfielder Pantelis Panteli. Panteli has started all five games and leads the team with 2 goals. His 4 points and four shots on goal are also team highs.

The game will kick off at 7 p.m. as the Knights look to create a winning streak.

For updates on the Rutgers men's soccer team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.