Rutgers men's soccer hosts in-state foe Rider

The Rutgers men's soccer team will look for its first win of September tomorrow against Rider. – Photo by null

The Rutgers men’s soccer team will look to get its first win in September when it takes on Rider tomorrow night. The Scarlet Knights (1-1-2, 0-0-0) are coming off of a 2-2 draw with Yale on Monday at Yurcak Field on Busch campus.

Rutgers created most of the scoring chances in the game, but more shots could not translate to more goals than the Bulldogs (0-0-2, 0-0-0). This marked the second-straight game that ended in a tie for the Knights.

Rutgers has struggled defensively to start the season, allowing 11 goals in its first four games and only holding an opponent to under 2 goals once.

The attack has been more positive for the Knights as they have scored 8 goals in the first four games and have outshot their opponents 62-49. Despite shooting more than their opponents, they have totaled fewer shots on goal. Over the first four games, opponents have 24 shots on goal, and Rutgers only has 21. 

Senior forward MD Myers has been a standout in the early season. Myers has 4 goals and is the only one on the team with more than 1 this year. His 10 shots on goal lead the team, and his 8 points are also a team-high.

Senior midfielder Jackson Temple has also been producing early for the Knights. Temple is second on the team with 4 points and is tied for first in assists with two.

Rutgers will play a Broncs (0-3-0, 0-0-0) team that has a storied tradition in the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference (MAAC). Rider has made the MAAC championship game five times in the last seven seasons. This year, the Broncs were picked to finish second in the conference by league coaches. 

The Knights will have to watch out for Zaki Alibou. Alibou’s 10 goals and five assists in 2021 won him the MAAC Offensive Player of the Year, and this year, Alibou was named MAAC Preseason Player of the Year. Rider has struggled to start the season, losing its first three games and only scoring 1 goal.

With three games remaining in the Rutgers homestand and two remaining until the start of Big Ten play, the Knights will look to win and build some momentum in this in-state matchup against the Broncs.

For more updates on the Rutgers men's soccer team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.