Rutgers men's soccer hits road to face Wisconsin

Senior midfielder Jackson Temple hopes to build off of his performance last week as the Rutgers men's soccer team gets set to face Wisconsin in Madison.  – Photo by Rutgers Mens Soccer / Instagram

This Friday night, the Rutgers men’s soccer team will be in Madison, Wisconsin, to take on Wisconsin. The Scarlet Knights (4-1-2, 1-0-0) are coming off of a five-game homestand in which they went unbeaten with two ties and three wins.

Rutgers' last match was a dominant 4-2 victory over Northwestern. In the win, the Knights never trailed in the game as they scored 2 goals in the first period and another 2 goals in the second period. 

Junior midfielder Jason Bouregy had a goal and an assist in the contest while senior defender Hugo Le Guennec and freshman midfielder Cole Cruthers both scored their 1st career goals in the game. The win marked the third time that Rutgers has scored 4 or more goals in a game this season.

Despite improving since the beginning of the year, the Knights defense is still allowing 2.14 goals per game to their opponents. While they have only allowed their opponents to take on approximately 10 shots per game against them, with 50.7 percent of those shots being on target.

In contrast, Rutgers takes 17 shots per game, but only 37.8 percent of those shots land on target. The Knights will look to lower their opponents' goals per game average when they take on the Badgers (3-3-0, 0-1-0).

On the other side of the ball, Rutgers' attack has been great to start the season. The Knights have averaged 2.71 goals per game this season and in their first seven games and have taken 119 shots and 44 corner kicks. 

Senior forward MD Myers and senior midfielder Jackson Temple have been key contributors for Rutgers. Myers leads the team with 6 goals and 14 points while Temple is tied for the team lead with four assists and also has 4 goals. 

Thanks to his efforts this past week, Temple was named Co-Offensive Player of the Week in the Big Ten. The Millville, Pennsylvania, native scored 3 goals and two assists for 8 total points while guiding the program to two wins last week.

Junior forward Ola Maeland has also been a key contributor for the Knights down the left wing. Maeland is tied with Temple with four assists and has also scored 1 goal.

Meanwhile, Wisconsin has had a mediocre start to the season. The Badgers have gone 2-1 in their last three games. Wisconsin is coming off of a 1-0 loss to Penn State last week. 

The Badgers have a stout defense as they only allow their opponents to score 1.17 goals per game and 9.5 shots per game. Their offense has struggled to start the season averaging 2.17 goals per game on only 10 shots per game. 

The Rutgers defense needs to look out for Maxwell Keenan. Keenan has had a terrific start to the season as he has led the Badgers with 4 goals and 10 points.

The game will kick off at 8 p.m. as the Knights look to extend their three-game winning streak and remain undefeated in conference play.

For updates on the Rutgers men's soccer team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.