Two Rutgers football players selected in 2022 NFL Draft

Bo Melton and Isaih Pacheco were both selected in the seventh round of the 2022 NFL Draft, becoming the first members of the Rutgers football team to be drafted since 2019.  – Photo by Rutgers Football / Twitter

Former wide receiver Bo Melton and running back Isaih Pacheco of the Rutgers football team were drafted in the 2022 NFL Draft held in Las Vegas this weekend. Both Melton and Pacheco had to wait until the final day and the seventh round of the draft to hear their names called.

Melton was drafted by the Seattle Seahawks with the 229th overall pick, while Pacheco was drafted by the Kansas City Chiefs with the 251st overall pick.

Melton is the 86th player for head coach Greg Schiano to ever be drafted, while Pacheco is the 87th.

Melton, a Mays Landing, New Jersey, native, left the Banks with multiple entries in the record books. The wide receiver ranked sixth in the program’s history with 164 receptions and 10th in receiving yards with 2,011 yards accumulated through 45 games.

Throughout his five-year career as a Scarlet Knight, Melton racked up 11 touchdowns and, in his last three seasons, Melton led the team in receiving yards. After this season, Melton was invited to the Senior Bowl.

“So happy to be a Seahawk,” Melton said in a tweet. “Let’s get to work!”

Melton was able to show off his skills in the 2022 NFL Scouting Combine for draft prospects and posted a 4.34 run in the 40-yard dash to go along with a 38-inch vertical jump.

Pacheco, who hails from Vineland, New Jersey, was also able to make a name for himself at Rutgers. In each of his last three seasons of his five total with the Knights, Pacheco was the team’s leading rusher.

Pacheco finished his Rutgers stint with a total of 563 carries for 2,442 rushing yards which ranks him seventh in Knights history. He racked up 18 career-rushing touchdowns and added 47 receptions for 249 yards and one touchdown.

Just like Melton, Pacheco turned heads at the NFL Combine with a 4.37 40-yard dash time, which put him as one of the fastest running backs participating. Pacheco was also able to bench 27 reps on the 225-pound bench press at Rutgers Pro Day.

The last Knights to be drafted by NFL teams were Saquan Hampton and Blessuan Austin, who were selected by the New Orleans Saints and the New York Jets, respectively, in the 2019 NFL draft. Hampton and Austin were both sixth-round selections. 

Pacheco joins a Chiefs team with star quarterback Patrick Mahomes at the helm. Melton will factor into the Seahawks' rebuild and join a wide receiver room that includes DK Metcalf and Tyler Lockett.

Melton and Pacheco were not the only Rutgers players to sign deals with professional teams. Former linebackers Olakunle Fatukasi and Tyreek Maddox-Williams were signed as undrafted free agents by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Los Angeles Chargers, respectively.

Meanwhile, former defensive lineman Mike Tverdov and linebacker Tyshon Fogg received invites to rookie minicamp with the Miami Dolphins, while former long snapper Billy Taylor will head to rookie minicamp with the New York Jets.

For more updates on the Rutgers football team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.