Rutgers softball is swept in road series by Indiana

Junior outfielder Taylor Fawcett and the Rutgers softball team continued their struggles in Big Ten play, being swept by Indiana over the weekend. – Photo by Mike Carlson / Scarletknights.com

The Rutgers softball team failed to pick up a win in its three-game road trip against Indiana this past weekend. The Scarlet Knights (23-18, 1-8) now own a six-game losing streak and have just one win in nine tries in Big Ten play.

The Hoosiers (22-10, 5-4) came out on top in the first meeting on Friday. Game one was back and forth, with the score staying close for the entire game.

The real action started in the third with a solo home run from Taylor Minnick that made the score 2-0 in favor of Indiana.

Despite this, Rutgers came back in the fourth with a three-run inning that saw graduate student utility Gabrielle Callaway score on an error. Sophomore outfielder Leilani Chavez and sophomore utility Kobie Hura each also collected a run batted in (RBI) in the inning, giving the program the lead.

That lead followed into the fifth inning and widened with an RBI from Callaway to put the Knights up 4-2.

The Hoosiers battled back in the bottom of the inning, scoring three runs off of junior pitcher Ashley Hitchcock to give them the lead back.

Junior pitcher Jaden Vickers came in in relief for Rutgers and gave up the final run of the game on an RBI single from Brianna Copeland, making the final score 6-4 in favor of Indiana.

The two met for game number two on Saturday evening, with the Hoosiers coming out on top in another close battle. Indiana opened the scoring in the first with an RBI double from Brittany Ford to give it the early lead.

The Knights then responded to take a 2-1 lead in the third with the help of an RBI single from sophomore outfielder Kayla Bock.

Rutgers was able to keep the Hoosiers quiet for the third and fourth, but it would not be for long.

Minnick had an RBI to tie the game and then a triple from Copeland, who later scored due to an error, knocked in two runs to give Indiana the lead. Freshman infielder Maddie Lawson brought in two runs in the sixth, but the Knights could not overcome the Hoosiers’ four-run fifth inning and fell 5-4.

Indiana completed the sweep on Sunday afternoon with an 11-6 win. The game was back and forth for the first three innings, as Rutgers left the first three frames up 3-2. 

Hitchcock, who was pitching for the Knights, saw a tough fourth inning, as the Hoosiers scored six runs to push it to an 8-3 Indiana lead.

Rutgers did its best to battle back, collecting three runs off of a two-run blast to right from Callaway and then an inside-the-park home run from junior outfielder Taylor Fawcett in the sixth. These runs made the score 8-6 in favor of the Hoosiers.

The bottom of the inning then saw Indiana increase its lead further, scoring three additional runs and securing the series sweep.

The Knights will be back at the Rutgers Softball Complex on Livingston campus tomorrow when they face Seton Hall. The game, which will begin at 4 p.m., precedes Rutgers’ next series which will be played at home against Illinois.

For more updates on the Rutgers softball team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.