Rutgers softball heads home for series with Penn State

Graduate student utility Gabrielle Callaway looks to add to her home run total this weekend as the Rutgers softball team faces Penn State in a three-game series. – Photo by Mike Carlson / Scarletknights.com

The Rutgers softball team will return home as the program hosts Penn State this weekend. 

The Scarlet Knights (23-24, 1-13) are entering this series off a doubleheader loss to Maryland on Tuesday. Game one of the doubleheader was high-scoring but did not result in a Rutgers win.

Though the Knights were the first to score on a solo home run from graduate student utility Gabrielle Callaway in the third, the Terrapins (24-18, 10-4) came back in the bottom of the inning to score seven runs against Rutgers’ starting pitcher, junior pitcher Jaden Vickers. Freshman pitcher Georgia Ingle came in to relieve Vickers after the third.

The Knights were able to rack up some runs in the fifth, including a run batted in (RBI) from sophomore utility Kobie Hura, but Rutgers could not snag the lead despite the team's efforts. Maryland continued its offensive strides and took the game 10-7. 

Game two of the doubleheader went similarly for the Knights, as they fell once again and extended their losing streak to 12 games. Junior pitcher Ashley Hitchcock was credited with her 16th loss this season.

The Terrapins opened the scoring in game one in the second when Hitchcock walked in a run. Maryland kept its lead strong throughout the remainder of the game.

Rutgers’ lone run came in the bottom of the sixth when sophomore shortstop Kyleigh Sand scored on a wild pitch. The final after seven innings was 6-1 in favor of the Terrapins.

Despite the disappointing results in College Park, Maryland, the Knights will have a chance to snap their losing streak as they return to the Rutgers Softball Complex on Livingston campus to face the Nittany Lions (25-16, 7-5). Penn State is coming into the weekend after winning a home series against Indiana last weekend.

The Nittany Lions have seen impressive seasons from Ally Kurland and Cassie Lindmark. Kurland has collected 16 home runs and 38 RBIs, both of which are team highs. She does this while sporting a .336 batting average. 

On the other hand, Lindmark leads the team in batting average with a .426 average. She has also collected 32 RBIs on a team-high 52 hits this season. 

On the mound for Penn State is Bailey Parshall, who has a 1.67 earned run average on the season. In her 150.2 innings of work, Parshall has 153 strikeouts, keeping opponents to a .185 average while collected 16 wins, all of which are team-highs.

Rutgers will face the Nittany Lions at 1 p.m. today, 3 p.m. tomorrow and 1 p.m. once again on Sunday. All three games of the series will be available to stream on Big Ten Network+.

For more updates on the Rutgers softball team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.