Rutgers softball defeats Monmouth, will travel to face Nebraska this weekend

After recording her third walk-off hit of the season, sophomore shortstop Kyleigh Sand and the Rutgers softball team will travel to Nebraska for a weekend series. – Photo by Steve Hockstein / Scarletknights.com

The Rutgers softball team will travel to Lincoln today for a conference series with Nebraska. The Scarlet Knights (23-12, 1-2) enter the series coming off a Tuesday home win against Monmouth. In the five-inning game, Rutgers landed on top in an 11-3 final. 

The Knights got off to a very busy start as they put up 10 runs against the Hawks (5-22, 0-0) in just the first inning. On the mound, while junior pitcher Jaden Vickers gave up a three-run homer in the top of the second, she was able to keep the Monmouth offense silent after that. 

Sophomore shortstop Kyleigh Sand collected her third walk-off hit of the season when she knocked in a run to finalize Rutgers’ win. Sand has had a strong season thus far and is sporting a nine-game hit streak. 

Sand is not the only Knight that is playing at a high level as graduate student utility Gabrielle Callaway has been having another impressive year.

The newly-minted Big Ten Co-Player of the Week had two runs scored as well as a run batted in (RBI) on a single that opened up scoring for Rutgers on Tuesday. Callaway has her own hitting streak, which stands at eight games.

Looking toward this weekend, the Knights are returning to Big Ten play in their first conference road trip of the season.

Rutgers and the Cornhuskers (22-9, 2-0) will meet three times this weekend, with the first game starting today at 6:30 p.m. Nebraska has the advantage in the two teams’ all-time series, having won 6 of the 8 games between the two teams. 

Among some notable players for the Cornhuskers is Billie Andrews. Andrews is batting .388 this season to go along with an impressive 17 home runs and 37 RBIs in just 31 games. Andrews is currently the nation’s home run leader.

Alongside Andrews, there is Mya Felder, who is sporting a .425 average, which is a team-high. The infielder currently has 31 hits this season with 17 RBIs. 

Matching up with the Knights’ pitching staff is Olivia Ferrell and Courtney Wallace. The pair have a combined 22-8 record and sport 2.24 and 3.60 earned run averages, respectively.

Ferrell has pitched just more than 96 innings and has collected 109 strikeouts in that time while Wallace has pitched approximately 89 innings with 64 strikeouts. 

Following the series opener today, Rutgers and Nebraska will face off tomorrow at 2 p.m. and Sunday at 1 p.m. All three games will be available to stream on Big Ten Network.

For more updates on the Rutgers softball team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.