Rutgers softball continues non-conference schedule at Liberty Softball Invitational

Freshman infielder Maddie Lawson and the Rutgers softball team are set for an action-packed weekend at the Liberty Softball Invitational.    – Photo by Mike Carlson / Scarletknights

The Rutgers softball team is continuing its season this weekend in the Liberty Softball Invitational in Lynchburg, Virginia. The Scarlet Knights (11-5, 0-0) meet Liberty twice as well as Notre Dame, George Washington and Lehigh.

Rutgers spent last weekend at The Spring Games where they won 4 of its 5 matchups. Freshman infielder Maddie Lawson was awarded with the Big Ten Freshman of the Week for the second week in a row for her performance in The Spring Games. Lawson batted a .353 average for the week, hitting three runs batted in (RBI) and three runs. 

The Flames (10-6, 0-0) were the Knights’ first opponent and will be their last opponent on Sunday. In yesterday’s tournament opener for Rutgers, Liberty defeated the Knights 12-0. The Flames are now on a four-game win streak. 

Despite a quiet performance in the teams’ first matchup, Caroline Hudson is among the notable Liberty players that Rutgers will see at the plate. Hudson has a .286 batting percentage to go along with a .510 slugging percentage.

The Flames have a couple of strong competitors on the mound as well with Megan Johnson and Karlie Keeney. The two have 1.02 and 2.21 earned run averages (ERA), respectively. The Knights will meet Liberty again on Sunday at 2 p.m. 

Rutgers will meet the Fighting Irish (12-3, 0-0) today at 2 p.m. Entering the invitational, the Fighting Irish are on a seven-game win streak, defeating Florida Gulf Coast most recently. 

Abby Sweet is Notre Dame’s most decorated player so far this season. She has a .444 average with nine RBIs and three home runs. 

The Colonials (5-7, 0-0) are the first matchup in the Knights' doubleheader tomorrow at 9 a.m. Alexa Williams is among the top hitters for the program with a .324 average, nine RBIs and 11 hits.

On the mound, Rutgers should expect to see Sierra Lange. Lange has a 4.01 ERA on the season with 54 strikeouts in nine appearances. This is the first meeting between the two teams in program history. 

The Mountain Hawks (2-3, 0-0) are the Knights’ second opponent tomorrow. Some players to watch include Emily Cimino and Gabriella Nori. Cimino is batting a .389 average with two RBIs and seven hits. 

Meanwhile, Nori has a 2.05 ERA and 16 strikeouts on the season. They will face off against Rutgers at 11:30 a.m. 

Following this weekend, the Knights will participate next weekend in the ASU/GSU Classic in Arizona.

For more updates on the Rutgers softball team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.